[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Rino 520/530

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 13 22:23:09 MST 2006

Anyone on the listserv using the Garmin Rino 520/530... I am interesting in
picking up a couple and would like lots of comments and reviews on them. I
of course would like to know how well the GPS functions work and how well it
would work for geocaching. I dont plan to use it for geocaching, just want
to know if it works as well as any other GPS for things such as geocaching
(how does it compare to the 60c/cs). Also, and most importantly, am VERY
interested in knowing how well the radio's work. The 520 and 530 boast 5
watts (!) of power for a range of up to 14 miles. I currently use 2 Motorola
Spirit radios with 1 watt. I think they advertise a 2 mile range. But I can
easily talk 10-12 miles or more with these Motorola 1 watt radios. They are
VHF radios. Which I 'think' is a higher frequency than a GMRS radio. If that
is so, perhaps a VHF would 'reach out' farther with 1 watt than a GMRS would
with 5 watts??? Is this so? Or not? Anyone with lots of radio expertise can
chime in here. I am not interested in the Rino 530 if it cant reach out at
least as far as my current radios do. I also know that with line of site, I
have been known to talk over 30 miles (air to air) with my 1 watt motorola
radios. Will the Rino 530's do that with 5 watts?? Or are these whopping 5
watt radio's capable of much more? I dont know too much about radio's so
anyone with knowledge on that can chime in too.

Two of these 530's will run me almost $800. I currently have a good GPS
(60C) and two good Motorola Radios. So I am only interested in the 530's if
they can give me a MUCH better radio range. Radio range is most important.
Its use as a GPS is secondary, but still important, since I will be using
them as a GPS also. After using my 60C for 2 years, will I be dissapointed
in the 530's GPS abilities? I love the idea of having the ability to track
my other radio. This is a big reason for wanting the 530's as well.

Anyways, I am hoping there are a few on the listserv that are using these
and can give me some reviews on them. If anyone is using the 130's or less,
chime in too. Curious to know how they do with their max 2 watts.

Thanks!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind