[Az-Geocaching] Needed: advice for my first GPS

Robert & Linda Smith Lrsmith at cableone.net
Mon Sep 26 17:54:15 MST 2005

OK,   OK,   Let me wade into this debate.

I have owned both Garmin (still do) and Magellan (still do) - I found
the 60C a little over the top with things it could do.  I had trouble
trying to have just 20 or 50 or 100 waypoints to chose from when I went
on a cache run.  I wasn't able to list them in an order that I could
understand.  Granted, when we found a cache it was easy and quick to see
where the next closest cache was.  I expect there was a menu item that
would have helped me.  I did not find the icon menu setup helpful to
me.  I missed the ability to have a "file" of x number of caches from my
pocket query and being able to load just those in memory to work with.
As I remember the 60C had a large memory and you could put a bunch of
caches in it's memory.

My Magellan Gold and Color give me the option to use the SD memory card
and select specific files or groups of caches in an area that I am
interested in.  My brain seems to work best that way.  I have a pocket
query set up to give me a weekly update on say, "local" caches, then
those near "mom", etc.  When I'm in that area I load them into memory, I
can see the cache name if I only load 200 caches (I'm not going to hit
that many in a day much less a week) and it all just seems to flow
easier for me.

Now my wife, she likes her Garmin 12.  I can load 200 caches into it but
if we go down to Phx. for instance, I need to load a different 200 for
her.  Or she loads each one by hand, which she has done.

I want to see the eXplorist XL and it's larger screen.  If it has all
the features and menus of the Meridian Color I might have to talk my way
into one.  Unless, of course, all the software needs to be changed than
all bets are off...

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bob Smith, Petite Elite, Prescott, AZ