[Az-Geocaching] Needed: advice for my first GPS

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 25 12:28:33 MST 2005

Like many on this list have already said... the Garmin GPSMAP 60C seems to
be the GPS of choice for geocaching (it has geocaching features too). I dont
think you should simply be looking for a GPS in a given price range per
say... but you should be looking at what you are getting for your money...
whatever price range you are looking at. The 60C is by far the best value
and you are getting more GPS for the money than any other model out there
currently. I know a certain geocacher who was a true Magellan fan. After
only one caching outing with me and seeing what my 60C would do... he was
hooked on it. A couple months later and he is now a proud owner of a 60C. He
cant stop talking about it! He cant beleive all the features it has compared
to his old GPS. The unit sells for around $350. I think the best price you
will find is probably at gpsnow.com. This is where I purchased my unit. I
bought the unit as soon as it became available and paid $400 for it. But it
has come down in price a bit now.

If that is too much... then the Etrex Vista is a great deal as well. I think
you might find that for under $250 now. You can now get the Vista in
color.... but if you are going to spend that much... then you might as well
upgrade to the 60C.

Garmin manufactures high end aviation panel mount intstrumentation,
including GPS's. The FAA has to approve and certify anything Garmin produces
for aviation before it can be installed in an aircraft. So you know they
make very quality products. That experience and quality is obvious in their
outdoors GPS units as well.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind