[Az-Geocaching] Needed: advice for my first GPS

Jake Olson jake.teamai at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 20:12:10 MST 2005

I've had a great experience with Garmins.

My first was the GPS V. Even after a few years, I think it's still out of
your price range unless you look at used ones.

My second was the Forerunner 201. With enough looking around, you can
probably find it under $100, but I doubt it's really what you are looking
for. It's designed more for people that have fitness and exercise in mind. I
has basic gps functions and can easily be used for caching, plus it's hands
free, but there are not enough features to help with caching.

I'm currently using a GPSMAP 60C. Quite a few cachers on this Listserv will
attest to how wonderful it is. Plenty of memory, color screen, and built in
caching features make this one highly recommended, but the best price you
can find on this one is gonna put it at almost twice your desired spending
limit.

Another one that I'm able to talk about is my sister's Geko 201. You can
probably find it at about half of your price limit. It does have a
backlight, but no color screen. A disappointment for my sister was that they
stopped making them with a gekko character on the case. She really enjoys
having it, and since she is way too young to drive, the lack of maps doesn't
effect her use.

For your price range I would recommend anything in the mid eTrex line.
You'll be limited to non-color screens, but the features will be all you
need to start out with.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetlgc.htm

I know a few folks that have bought their GPS units from this company. To my
recollection, I haven't heard a single complaint about them. With their
discounts, you may find yourself spending a bit more to move up to that
color screen model. (Remember to add to your cart to see the actual sell
price.)

I've never personally owned an eTrex, but Brian (Team A.I.) had one until he
moved up to the GPSMAP 60C. As I recall he was very pleased with his, which
I believe was a Vista. His Vista was sold only when the 60C came out... and
I bet if he could have afforded it, he would have kept the Vista as a backup
unit. With the popularity of the 60C, you may find that there are some deals
to be made on some eTrex units out there.

http://www.gpsnow.com/gmmap60.htm

There is a GPS 60, that has no map. It's under well under $200 so you could
add some accessories to your order. No street maps make this one I really
can't recommend.

The GPSMAP 60 has the mapping that is missing from the GPS 60. Although I
haven't checked, I bet it has all the geocaching features the 60C has.
Price... $250

GPSMAP 60C... It's pretty much the bandwagon many of us are on. (unless your
a Magellan fan.) The 60CS is a step up, but the features that are added
don't quite seem to be worth the added cost. Plus those features eat battery
life quickly. My GPS V took 4 batteries, at about twice the rate of the 2
batteries my 60C consumes.

All of the Garmin units I've worked with have had PC interfaces. Funny thing
was the Forerunner 201 had the most convenient. The battery was self
contained Lithium Ion, so the charger doubled as the PC interface. The 60C
has a USB interface for faster data transfers over the older serial
connections. The 60C also has a redundant serial connector that also doubles
as a external power source.

Obviously my recommendations are biased towards the one I own. Unless they
comeout with one that clips to my hat and projects a holographic display...
An integrated sunglasses version wouldn't be bad either. Until then, I'll be
happy sticking with the 60C.

hope this helps some.

Jake - Team A.I.