[Az-Geocaching] New look at GC.com

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 18 15:34:12 MST 2005

>From: Gale <sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] New look at GC.com
>Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 14:39:57 -0700 (PDT)
>
>Wow, you are right. Talk about biting the hand that feeds them. That state
>organization is the >binding entity that got us (well mostly you Steve, and
>others here) to work to put geocaching in a >positive light locally. It is
>azgeocaching.com that has done so much to promote geocaching here. If >it
>wasnt for azgeocaching.com, I am not sure if I would be into geocaching as
>much as Mike and I >are. It wasnt gc.com but Brian through the community on
>azgc.com that got the CITOs on the >local highway cleanup. It wasnt gc.com,
>but Steve through the community on azgc.com that >worked with local
>agencies on their geocaching policies. It was the community through
>azgc.com >that made caching good here, not gc.com.

I get people that ask me all the time why I am not a premium member of
gc.com. Well, there is one of the primary reasons right there.... I never
felt gc.com supported the local geocaching groups. When I first got started
in geocaching, the main drive for me to cache was not only for the adventure
and the outdoor nature of the game... but also to go after a #1 in the
rankings. Azgeocaching.com has not only provided a friendly natured
competition thru the rankings.. but the rankings have always provided us
with team specific data for PDA and GPS downloads and such to make caching
on the go easy and quick for me. These stats are no more since gc.com will
not allow the azg.com access to the data on the main site. I dont cache for
the numbers anymore, but I do still enjoy caching and having the downloads
sure makes caching on the go easy.

Much like Gale said, I certainly would not have gotten as interested in the
game if it wasnt for azgeocaching.com.

I had a month to month $3 membership to gc.com for a short time and I didnt
feel the additional provisions where worth the $30 a year. Some cachers have
told me I should support the main site anyways since they give us this game
to play. Azgeocaching.com gives me everything I need to play the game too.
If the main site will not support the local sites, I see no reason to
support the main site.

On the flip side of this argument...

I admit another reason I wasnt a premium member of the main site was because
the features I got from the prem membership, I could also get for free from
azgeocaching.com. Perhaps that may play a factor in why gc.com doesnt allow
these local sites to crawl the main site for data? I simply found azg.com's
file downloads simpler to use and more user friendly. They are also specific
to Arizona and since I only cache in Arizona... those data downloads were
all I ever needed.

Either side of the argument you look at... there is no doubt that the local
sites benefit the main site in providing some sense of community on the
local level. This in turn keeps local geocachers interested in the game. A
game that might be short lived for some ("oh I went for a few, it was fun
but I got over it and moved on"), became more fun as there was a sense of
community developed thru the local sites with chat rooms, listservs and of
course event caches. Geocaching is a very social game and a great way to
make new friends. I know I have made alot of new friends thru this game.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind