[Az-Geocaching] Poll

ShadowAce shadowace.az at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 11:40:42 MST 2005

I have doubts that I will ever go to terracaching.com's website
because of all the information I have found in the past about it.

I will give some examples here:

Terracaching, in my opinion was created by someone pissed at
geocaching and Jeremy. The same people now claim that all of there
caches are super high quality. It is not about the numbers, it is
about the destination. Terracaches will be rewarding and worth the
experience unlike those number chasers at geocaching.com.

Terracaching is a game for the community, by the community without one
person who can run the site.

A community of serious cachers and a listing of terracaches hidden all
around the world available exclusively to TerraCaching members. (hmm I
guess anyone who uses geocaching.com is not serious about caching)

http://southeast.proboards18.com/index.cgi?board=general&num=1109778749&action=display&start=0

Insolence, and Jeremy's iron fist. Took away the thing I enjoyed most
about placing a cache, the "decorating", and the little weasel won't
even give the issue a hearing or a response. I'll never place another
GC.com cache, and doubt I'll ever log another one.

TerraCaching http://www.terracaching.com/  Referrals: 7
Angry Kid's new listing site which emphasizes quality caches.

What is the terracaching profile? Someone who likes caches that are
worth logging. Whether they are placing or hunting them, these are
people who are interested purely in the caching experience. There are
some people who might think this means tremendous hikes, or incredibly
clever puzzles, or merely interesting voyages to places worth
appreciating. With any of these categories, it should be a quality
experience. Terracachers are more likely to just hunt a few caches in
a day, than try to hit every cache in the area on the same day.
  (So the same people who geocache will become different when they terracache?)

The parts in ( )'s are my input all others are straight from webpages.

Now, to me this seems like terracaching was designed by a bunch of
bitter cachers who want to prove that geocaching.com sucks. They claim
to have the highest quality of caches, but you have to get sponsored
to see if this is true.

>From the examples others have thrown out the quality is no different
then any of the geocaching.com listings, actually they may be less.

So Why would I join a bunch of elitist who are out to do nothing but
bad talk the location that brought my family into a hobby we have come
to live and love?

Oh, yes, they allow virtuals. Saddly I got tired of reading all the
historical markers and being able to get cache finds by searching the
internet. I and my children like finding items and finding containers.
I have looked in the forums and found that while some good virtuals
are turned down for one reason or another, it seems to be the 'What is
the serial number of the manhole cover' type virtuals that make it to
the forums to complain about not being listed.  Myself? I have seen
enough manhole covers to last a lifetime, but I am sure they are
quality and should be listed on terracaching.

Lets not forget the listings on private property that are able to be
placed in Texas now that were denied because the property owner was
able to see them on geocaching, but cannot even check on terracaching
without sponsors.

No, I wish you the best of luck and joy with terracaching and I hope
you have a great time with it, but I will not be going that route
until groundspeak is dead and we need to find another way to play.

I think I would be more interested in :::
----------
http://movingcache.com/
Welcome to Movingcache.com!

Are you never first to find at a cache? Well that all ends now! If
you're fast enough you will be FTF on our caches! Yes it's true that
you may not be quite as fast as you thought, and find only some
flagging tape where a cache should be, but sure enough, a day or two
later it will show up somewhere again ready for you to discover its
secret location.
But is finding a cache good enough? We did not think so and we
developed a new spin around the game.

Each time a cache is placed, or hidden the player doing the hiding or
finding gets points.

What are the point structures? That is totally up to the cache owner!
The cache owner sets up rules for the cache based on Time, Distance,
Difficulty and Terrain.

For instance: the longer a cache holder (person who last found the
cache) keeps it in their hands, the fewer points they get. The further
they move it from where they found it, the more points they get. If
the hider puts it in a difficult terrain, they get less points, the
finder gets more.

That is an example of the rules; you may wish to have less focus on
distance, and more on time. You may not care what the terrain or
difficulty rating is and always give the same points. It is totally
configurable by the cache owner.

Enjoy the games, we hope one moves through your area soon!