[Az-Geocaching] Poll

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 23:46:25 MST 2005

2)  Locationless caches.  OK, so they have 'em ... GC.com has some, and keeps mentioning some new replacement concept for them in the (indeterminate) future.

Dont hold your breath waiting for them to return. It has been 2 years, and I am beginning to believe that the reality is that gc.com is waiting for the current ones to be archived and then they will quietly disappear and never return.

4) If I make two more Terracaching sock puppets, I should theoretically be able to post a cache full of porn, crack vials, Satanist pamphlets, and broken glass next to an active military installation.  I could list every fact about this clearly wrong cache --- but as long as my sponsors are willing co-conspirators, it'll go up live on the site as an approved cache.

And if such a cache is found, then the site can still pull that cache, plus if your sponsors are sock puppets, that too will be noticed, via the ip. Those who are upline, that is the sponsors of your sponsors, can pull their sponsorship for the carelessness in allowing you to have that cache. There is accountability in the system. As far as the cache you propose in your hypothetical, it is equally possible for that cache to get through the system at gc.com too. Such a devious cacher at gc.com could set up an innocuous sounding cache with all that stuff in it, and just pretend someone raided his cache with that stuff. For that matter, someone just reading the cache pages at gc.com can vandalize caches with that stuff. On tc.com, that cant happen, since cachers have to be sponsored. There are vulnerabilities on both sites.

These are SOME of the reasons that _at_this_time_  I'm not interested in TC.com.  I reserve the right to change my mind if it seems to improve in the future.  No one should feel obligated to belong just one site. No one should feel the need to discuss just one site on the listserv.  If I hear amazing things about caches that they offer that just knock my socks off, maybe I'll change my mind.

Im glad to see that you are open minded to reconsider in the future, and that you feel that terracaching is something that can be discussed here.

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898