[Az-Geocaching] Do you know him?

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:26:20 MST 2005

I too just got a crew cab (4 door) truck. It is a 1981 GMC 1 ton 4x4 crew
cab with a 6" lift. It has 35" BFG tires and 16.5" wheels. The truck has
25.5" of clearance from below the rocker panel to the ground (below the door
to the ground basically). As you mentioned Apryl, they are big trucks! I
find the turning radius to be a bit questionable and I would have some
concerns about that for off roading. Otherwise, I think this truck will go
almost anywhere. The two biggest fears are.... clearance: it does have
really good clearance, although it is a very long truck. If I go over a tall
hump of dirt, I could scrape bottom if the rear tires arent yet coming up
and over. Also, although I have 25.5" of clearance, I loose a tad bit
because I have small aluminum steps below the doors for my passengers to get
in and out. So I loose a few more inches there (unless I want to rip the
steps off- which I already banged one of them up the other day!). The long
wheelbase is a definite dissadvantage! The other problem is.... turning
radius: it has a very wide turning radius. I am not sure how I can improve
on this yet. I know some shelf roads with 180 degree switchbacks that I have
been on in my 74' longbed 1/2 ton truck that I would not be able to make
with this truck without having to do a 2 or 3 point turn type thing.

I have not done any hardcore off roading in it yet and I dont plan to do
anything too aggressive as the truck is primarily for business and I need to
keep it looking and running good. However, it is a 4x4 truck and I WILL use
it from time to time! I'm not one of those Scottsdale freaks that drive
around in their pristine Hummers that you can tell have never left a paved
road and never will! It is a TRUCK and it is a BEEFY truck... so I will
abuse it a litte bit! ;).

I did take it on some hills and humps and stuff near Kanab, Utah a few weeks
ago and also near Apache Junction the other day to test it's clearance. It
does do very well for a big truck. I am excited about taking it on some off
road runs to see what it can and can't do.

How many 'big truck' owners do we have on this listserv (I am referin' to
big 4 door lifted trucks). Perhaps we can all get together for a big truck
off road run sometime? :)

Scott

"Chris Ledoux...Rest in peace cowboy. You will be missed."