[Az-Geocaching] Rattlers are out!

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 10 15:30:35 MST 2005

I never saw one on the trail either. (And before anyone thinks Im not the type of person who would be on the trail a lot, I did a lot of hiking before I fell down stairs and rearranged parts of my hip and back.) The only one I ever saw in the wild was in my front yard, near my doorstep.

Jim Scotti <jscotti at pirl.lpl.Arizona.EDU> wrote:I've heard that they can only strike about their own length, so as long as
you are outside of that range, you should be alright. Being an astronomer,
I'd add a factor of two to that just to be safe..... :-) Speaking of
Lancer, it's also a very good idea to be aware of your hiking companions
surroundings as well as your own, especilly if your companion is a dog or a
child.

I've never seen a rattler while hiking either, amazingly. My wife saw one
once, but by the time I got over to her, it had slithered away. I have seen
them in the road. The best view I had of one (outside of the Desert Museum)
was on a dirt road on the way into Toroweap Overlook on the north rim. The
rattler was in the middle of the road and I stopped about 10 or 15 feet short
of him and got out to take pictures, staying back about 6 or 8 feet (making
use of the zoom lens on my camera...). Since I didn't want to run him over,
I tossed some pebbles at him to get him to move off the road before
continuing on.

Jim.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Michelle Chelby Geiss wrote:

> > Its
> > cohort was about 50' away waiting in a bush as I jogged past,
> > thankfully out
> > of reach (I hope) of striking.
>
> That's a good question...what is the striking distance? I was
> pondering that as my legs shook under me, trying to decide whether to
> turn around or try to slink by. He was about 4 feet off the trail. I
> decided to slink by...:) I am just thankful Lancer (dog) decided to
> totally ignore him...guess that snake breaking worked!
>
> Chelby:)

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/

Tsegi Mike and Desert Viking

Till a voice, as bad as Conscience, rang interminable changes
  On one everlasting Whisper day and night repeated -- so:
"Something hidden.  Go and find it. Go and look behind the Ranges --
  "Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you. Go!"

Rudyard Kipling ,   The Explorer  1898

http://mail.yahoo.com