[Az-Geocaching] Rattlers are out!

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 10 14:50:48 MST 2005

Wow Chelby! You have never seen a rattler on the trail hiking?! You are
either very lucky or unlucky! :) I have seen way too many of them in my days
of hiking. Never had a problem with them though. I just keep a short
distance and enjoy the view and then when the little guy is ready to move
on, I go on my way too! Last season I was doing a hike in Usuarry Pass and
came upon two of them on one hike! One of them was just laying out across
the trail. I just stopped about 3 feet from it and kinda nelt down and just
quitely watched it as it watched me. It was never alarmed and I didnt try
and spook it any. After a few minutes, it slowly slithered away and I
continued on down the trail.

I guess it wouldnt be very difficult to accidentally step near one and
startle it either though!!! Especially when hiking off trail to some of the
more remote caches and especially with the tall grass and such we will have
to deal with this spring as well. I can see where they will be out in full
force this spring!!! Definetly want to be aware of your surrounding and also
pay close attention to where you are walking.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

"Chris Ledoux...Rest in peace cowboy. You will be missed."