[Az-Geocaching] Mo' bettah caches!

Steven Stringham sstringh at stringham-family.org
Mon Mar 7 23:41:04 MST 2005

Artemis,
We do appreciate your efforts on our part. Thank you very much.

I understand the nature of some of the rules, and some of them make
perfect sense given some of the restrictions provided by land managers,
and common sense. The one in particular that I am disappointed in is the
change on virtuals (yes, we have had this discussion). The question I
have is how can we open this back up just a little bit. The guidelines
on virtuals is much tighter than I would like them to be. I enjoy the
various caches (be they light pole, or ammo cans in the woods or all
that stuff in between). But, my wife and kids have had the most fun
doing virtuals. They love being taken to a museum, a memorial, etc.
Anything that is different, and fun, and educational is great. That is
how I get them out there caching with me. I include a few virtuals on
our outings. And we have a grand old time.

I understand that we need to limit them somewhat (...and email the date
stamp on the manhole cover...). But, there are some statues, or
memorials, or gravestones (specific examples given in the rules) that
are worth the trip. Would the anchor from the USS Arizona at the state
capital have been approved today? Probably not. But is it worth taking
the kids there? Absolutely! What about the points/memorials at the Grand
canyon (a view is a view, but not a virtual). But, in both situations,
placing a physical container is just NOT appropriate. But, a virtual is
just right.

Yes, the quality of some virtuals is lower than others, but some are
just outstanding, as many of those on this listserve can attest to. But
under the current guidelines a lot of those just wouldn't be listed (as
you know).

So, what can we do to help Jeremy lighten up a bit on the virtuals. I
don't mind justifying that what I am trying to list is worth the time to
visit. But, after so doing, I think it ought to be able to be approved.

For example, I saw two memorials the other day. They were within 5 miles
of each other. One was a marker with a by the roadside with three words
on the roadside sign, but just the year 1938 carved as an afterthought
in the marker's cement itself. There were plenty of places to put a
physical cache nearby. But, I would agree not a great virtual (an offset
maybe - that year could be used). The other was a very nicely done
historical marker in a park with other markers. A great place to place a
physical cache you say? Unfortunately, they were both on Indian land.
Off limits to a physical cache. But, as the park was designed as a
memorial, it is open to the public. A nice place to visit, and study
significant Arizona history, and learn something. This one got me
thinking, and reading, and learning. But, as the virtuals are off
limits, so was it.

I know you would have liked to list a place like that. But it is not
your fault that the rules have tightened up so much. So, what can WE do?
We love this game. It is a lot of fun, and it gets us places we never
might have otherwise gone to, (the real pleasure in the game - for me at
least). And, meet people I otherwise never have known. Hence the
discussion of the revolt, migration, whatever you wish to call it.
GC.com has been very good. It's services have improved, and is well
worth supporting. But, this is one rule I am very unhappy about.

Steven Stringham
StringCachers