Cache approvers (was: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Mo' bettah caches!)

Gale sonoralovesmommy at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 7 15:45:09 MST 2005

I like the idea. I see some problems though. Inevitably you will have some people who think that is even more rigid than gc.com is now. Would caches have to be approved locally AND by gc.com? It might allow more creativity though as it would not have to be a one size fits all rule as it is with gc.com. As an official governing body, would we have to have permits that cost a lot to place caches in certain parks? I thought that was a potential problem. Good topic Dan. This is something to consider.

Looks like it might be time to be an official organization though.

"Koch, Dan" <Dan.Koch at Eclipsys.com> wrote:

A group of cache approvers is an excellent idea but I'm not sure that
known identies would be appropriate. After reading the forums, and
hearing directly from approvers, it sounds like cachers get extremely
upset when their caches aren't approved and they take their frustrations out
on the approvers, both personally and publically (see other thread here on
the listserv).

On the other hand, I think that total anonymity is impossible.
'Cliques' already exist within this community and I strongly believe
that those cachers that are buddies with approvers would EXPECT that
their caches would be given preferential treatment. Even if that is not
the case, perception is 90% of fact. A group of approvers could be one
way to alleviate that problem.

I can see either side. Maybe the formation of a "true" Association,
with officers and an approval board, would be the way to go. The
Association could then become the official reviewer for the state.

Thoughts?

LazyK - Dan