[Az-Geocaching] Power Trail not approved!

Bill Tomlinson billtomlinson at qwest.net
Thu Mar 3 13:07:36 MST 2005

Didn't there used to be a rule about how much distance a multi could
cover.  I have done my share of multi-caches and don't have anything
against them, but I would be pissed if I started following these "bread
crumbs" and found myself 10.7 miles from my truck.  Not to mention the
dangers of stringing someone along through the desert unprepared for a
hike of that distance.

Given that the guidelines suggest at least .10 but give the approver the
latitude to allow closer, and you are requesting to place them .25
apart, I would be real curious to know which placement guideline they
are citing to justify their decision.  I can't believe either of those
admins would make an arbitrary decision not supported by geocaching.com
rules.  Can you share with us which regulation they based their decision
on?

Finally, to answer your question, I have hiked that trail end-to-end
several times.  I have also walked very short segments of it just to
find a cache.  I think in general, most of us that are out for a cache
find would tend to take the shortest route to a cache and not experience
the entire trail.  Having experienced it both ways, I like the idea of
using several caches to prompt people to hike the whole thing.  In the
case of this trail, it would still be possible to do in segments, but
the end result would be similar.  I can think of other trails where this
would be even more of a factor.

CacheLess
Bill Tomlinson