[Az-Geocaching] PAGING DR. SCOTTI.......

Scott Wood scott at myblueheaven.com
Fri Jun 17 15:11:54 MST 2005

At 12:39 PM 6/17/2005, you wrote:
>Off topic reply
>
>Mary and I went camping last weekend and left at night, and we saw two
>bright green meteorites. On one of them I could see what looked like a
>smoke trail (or maybe an impression burned into my eyes). The were very
>cool. And they did look "close" and they looked like they were "low".

It is very exciting to see a fireball.  I have seen numerous in my life.  I
have also been a meteorite hunter and collector for many years now.  What
most people don't realize though is that even though the fireball seems
very close, unless you see the impact, it is most likely still a very long
way off.  It might be low in the sky, but if it still heads to the horizon,
it can still 100's of miles away.