[Az-Geocaching] RE: PDA/GPS

David E. Lucas lucas at sie.arizona.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:11:40 MST 2005

I have a Dell Axim X50V and have been very happy with it.  The VGA screen is
a nice improvement over the X30, which I had previously, and I've played
games, watched movies, etc. on it with no problem.  My X30 met an untimely
death while I was out looking for a cache and slipped and landed on it, so
while I use my new X50V for paperless caching (using GpxView), I prefer to
use my eTrex Vista (with protective case and wrist strap!) to lead me to the
cache itself.

The X50V has both WiFi and BT, so I found a 16ch BT GPS on eBay for about
$60 that works great for in-vehicle navigation.  Used it this summer on a
trip to Denver and it worked quite well for getting me there as well as
finding caches along the way.  The navigation software I use can import
waypoints from a .gpx file, so I used it to get close to the cache site,
then pulled out the Vista for finding the actual container.

What other software/hardware combos are in use out there and what would you
like to see?  For me, I'd love to see a program like CacheMate for the PPC
platform that would integrate with GSAK for uploading logs made in the
field...

David, AZTech