[Az-Geocaching] Google Earth

Team Tierra Buena teamtierrabuena at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 9 18:51:44 MST 2005

> I bite the bullet and bought a years worth of registration on Google
> Earth....  It is a very interesting piece of software and fun to play
> with, however,,,,,,,  It will not read my waypoints from my GPS, it's
> more than likely looking for Map Data rather than waypoints..

Can't help you there as I'm still using the tightwad release...

I can't
> find a way to change my preferences for reading long/lat..  Seems it
> wants to show me only DD MM SS when I want DD MM.MMM like my GPS

An answer, but you won't like it. Go to "Tools, Options", then go to the
"View" tab. In the section headed "Rendering", there is a checkbox labeled
"Show lat/lon in degrees, minutes, seconds". If you uncheck that box, you
will get your coordinates in decimal degrees (DD.DDDDDD).

Personal opinion: Since I've been using GSAK, with its seamless conversion
between the coordinate display formats (even UTM), it's become less
important to me that my GPS display what gc.com shows. Since outside of
Geocaching, DD MM.MMM seems to be the least popular format, I've taken to
leaving my GPSr in DD.DDDDDD and switching it back on the rare occasion it's
necessary to do so. I find I have much fewer problems moving between various
applications that way. It's worth considering.

> when I made a search of Anchorage International Airport, Alaska it came
> back with a location downtown???  I can see the aerial photo of the
> airport and can move in on it and see the long/lat that seems to be
> correct, wonder why the search does not hit it better????

I've found that Google Earth seems to recognize some (but not all) airport
designators. If I search on ANC, it puts me right in front of Ted Stevens
International. Typing PHX drops me at the east entrance of Terminal 3 at Sky
Harbor.

>  Has anyone
> made a search that showed waypoint location via the aerial photos or am
> I asking to much of it??

If I understand your question, it will do just that with a GPX file.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena