[Az-Geocaching] Photograph Arizona virtual cache

Bob Renner renner001 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 13:29:32 MST 2005

Looking at Topo! it looks like there is a way in from
89A just north of the switchbacks at the top of Oak
Creek Canyon.  This is just south of Fry Canyon.

The route goes past the following features on the
topo:
Fry Park
Fry Lake
Near Casner Tank
Flag Tank
West of Turkey Butte and the lookout tower
Power Tank
Turkey Tank
Joe Tank
Hidden Tank
Enters Yavapai County
Masonry Tank
Concrete Tank
Secret Cabin
And then curves around to Secret Mountain.

The total distance from 89A is 25 miles with 20.5 in
Coconino county and 4.5 in Yavapai county.

I'm not sure where the Wilderness boundary is and you
have to start hiking.

I was in some of this area years ago and I remember
that the forest service roads were very rough in
spots.  It might be a fun mountain bike adventure,
with an overnight campout at Secret Mountain.

There is a lookout tower in there that has to have
access, and there is a power line that also requires
occasional access.

If you note, there are several tanks you pass enroute.
 If you carried a water purifier/filter, you could cut
down on the water you needed to carry.

However, I do agree with Trisha.
If you go BE PREPARED.

Bob Renner