[Az-Geocaching] Photograph Arizona virtual cache

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 4 16:32:33 MST 2005

Bob,

Yea, I saw that one pop up on my geocache radar screen just a few minutes
ago! Actually, from what I can tell, it isnt really in the Sedona area at
all. It appears to be in the Secret Mountain Wilderness area. It appears
that you have to come south off of I-40 to get to it. West of Flagstaff.
There are a number of forest routes and such that come WAY south from I-40
to get back to that area. Or perhaps it is possible to come south from
Rogers Lake area. Basically, it is 'way back in there'. It is a long drive
around from Sedona to get to that area. I took a good look at my newly
updated Mapsource software and it shows a trail coming in from the west...
above the rim. There is a canyon to the south and east of the cache, which
it might be possible to hike up it to the cache. The next canyon over from
that one is Boynton Canyon. I hiked Boynton Canyon all the way to the end of
the trail and there is no way to climb up and out of that canyon. Well,
there might be. It would be a fun climb though. Many of the finger canyons
along that stretch are much the same... steep walls at the top end of the
canyons. There is the secret canyon area and I beleive there is a trail that
goes back there, but I havent been on it yet. It looks like a REALLY long
hike though if that trail went up the canyon to the north of the cache and
then back to it. But I dont think it does. I will have to consult some trail
maps for the area to find out if there is a way to get to it from Sedona
side... if so, I would be up for the challenge. If I have to approach from
south of I-40... it doesnt look like a cache I would be doing anytime soon.
Anyways, I only live a few minutes from Boynton Canyon area... I will take a
drive down there and take a look at the forest trail maps and see if any
trails go up there. I beleive there are trailheads to the Secret Mnt
Wilderness area near here... I just dont think that is how you get to that
cache location. It would be one hell of a hike if so. This one might sit for
another year.... or more!!!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind