[Az-Geocaching] Merry Christmas Caching presents

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:01:48 MST 2005

>From: Steven Stringham
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Merry Christmas Caching presents
>Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 21:12:00 -0700
>
>Is the SD the primary draw?  Are there any others?
>
>For Cachemate - I use my Treo 600. This I depend on.
>
>But, I am using an etrex vista. A nice unit. I do not have any mapping
>software to upload maps with (but I do have other mapping software).
>
>Since I bought it at REI, I am thinking I might do an upgrade. Just pay the
>difference. But, it is a concideration only at present. So, if you had a
>choice, what you carry.
>
>The 60CS looks a lot nicer to me than the 60c, in large part because of the
>digital compass. (This is a feature on my Vista that I greatly
>apprieciate). I would like to get the local streets in there as well. Can I
>upload real topos as well?
>
>The external antenna looks good. Does it really make a difference from the
>patch antenna of the Vista? I have trouble inside my minivan with my vista,
>but not so much in my geo metro. Maybe it has something to do with the
>electronics in the roof.
>
>So, I am just thinking. I like some of the features of the Rino530, but it
>only allows 500 waypoints. I really like the 1000WP of my vista.
>
>Anybody using a tomtom?

I am highly considering the purchase of two Garmin Rhino 530's for my hot
air ballooning. This unit allows me to track my ground crew vehicle and they
can also track me in the balloon. It also eliminates one of the several
devices I carry on board. I normally have my 60C around my neck with the
lanyard when I fly and keep it in my shirt pocket. The seperate
communication radio is in a pocket in the basket. I also carry an aircraft
radio. So it would be great to have two units in one... radio and GPS...
both in one unit and both quickly retrievable in my shirt pocket. The Rino
530's are also useful for the ground chase crew to be able to locate me even
if we lose radio communication. They know my last known location as they can
see me on their GPS screen where my unit last sent out a position report.
Likely, once they get to that location, they are probably within radio range
again to be able to pick me up again and acquire a new position report. They
have a great use for ballooning. Also the new Rino 530's are now 5 watts
GMRS and have up to a 14 mile range (often times even greater with line of
sight, such as air to ground). The only problem is that two of them are
about $800. Likely, they will come down in price a bit a short ways down the
road. But it looks like I am going to need some write off's for the business
come year end. With that, I might pick a couple of em' up! ;)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind