[Az-Geocaching] Humphrey's Peak

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 29 15:10:59 MST 2005

Well, speaking of highpointer clubs....

Myself and Frieza made the most awsome hike I think I have ever done... this
past Saturday....

We made the 10 mile round trip hike up to the top of Humphrey's Peak... the
highest point in Arizona at 12,633'!!! There is a virtual cache to be
claimed up there. We mostly did it because it was a hike we have always
wanted to do. The cache was just a bonus really. It was fun to also be able
to claim the highest cache in Arizona! It actually felt like a regular cache
since there was an ammo box up there that contains the summit registry.

The views were spectacular. The best I have ever seen from any cache site in
Arizona. The hike was great. It took us about 7 hours for the round trip
hike and we made it down to the parking lot/trailhead just as the sun was
setting to the west. Made for a great sunset too.

The hike wasnt too tough. But it was definetly a workout I havent done in
quite a long time! I was feeling it a bit on the last 1.5 miles of the hike
back down.  I didnt realize how steep that mountain is!!! You sure feel it
when you are climbing it! But other than that... it was a very relaxing and
nice hike and climb to the top. I had never been up to the ski lift on the
peaks either before, so the views were entirely a first for me.

If you are into hiking and you havent done this cache yet... I definetly
recommend GC4272. With over 1760 cache finds... this might just be one of my
favorite geocaching experiences! AND.... I got to bag the highest point in
Arizona!!!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind