[Az-Geocaching] Wow

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:58:02 MST 2005

>From: "PATRICK FINLEY" <Fastball50 at msn.com>
>To: <listserv at azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Wow
>Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:35:52 -0700
>
>I think Ken has hit the nail on the head. This is a game/hobby folks! I
>think some of you take this >WAY to seriously. We too were obsessed with
>geocaching and the numbers for quite awhile, but >after stepping back a
>little, realized that in the whole realm of things, this doesn't mean
>squat. We >now enjoy going after caches that we really "want" to pursue,
>instead of just going after caches >to add to our numbers. We exceeded our
>personal goals and realized just how >compulsive/obsessive this game can
>be. Of course, where we are located right now, we probably >couldn't get
>20-25 caches in a day, anyway. Geocaching is supposed to be "fun", and I
>think some >of you have seemed to lost sight of that. There's plenty of
>other things to do out there, and >maybe some of you who spend hours on the
>computer everyday, should keep that in mind. The >best days I ever had in
>Geocaching have been the days where myself, AJ.JR, Sprocket, Highway
> >Havoc, Malcolm of Taylor's Tomb Raiders, RTW, and various other cachers
>have taken tough hikes >to beautiful places and gotten only one cache in a
>day. Sharing the day with your friends in the >outdoors is what it's all
>about. It seems anymore that the the majority of posts on the listserv have
> >nothing to do with caching or discussing geocaching, but are more of a
>social nature If thats the >direction the listserv is heading ,than so be
>it. I've never shyed away from expressing my opinion, >and Jeff has stated
>how HE feels about co-FTF's, which is only HIS opinion. I'm sure Jeff has
>other >things going on in his life right now, but it's really nobody elses
>business. Also,Trisha has other >things going on in her life right now that
>are a lot more important than geocaching and I would >guess she's put
>things into perspective. Just let it go and move on to something else, like
>the next >pizza event or whatever.............<<

I agree. I used to be big into the numbers. In fact, the day I started
geocaching was the day I decided I was going to go after #1 in the AZ
rankings! :)) I think it was two years later when I finally hit that #1
spot. I took a second stab at it and held it again for a short time later
down the road. Today, I just geocache strictly for fun. I dont even look at
the azgeocaching rankings much anymore. I acccomplished my goal and now I
can kick back and just enjoy each cache I find. I truly enjoy the same types
of caches that Flatiron enjoys. That being the wilderness type and hiking
caches. Just being outdoors in the country. I am currently up in Sedona
where I spend my summers now. All the caches up here are of this nature and
I have truly enjoyed each and every one I do up here. I like to enjoy the
hike and take my time at each cache. I am not in a rush to move on to
another one anymore. I do the caches I enjoy doing and just dont bother with
the ones that I do not enjoy. One of the most unique caches I ever done was
when I took my balloon and ascended up to the top of a rock (Shiver Me
Timbers cache) to claim a first find. Oh, and there was NO co-FTF jeff! I
claimed the first find officially! LOL Although we all worked together to
make each of our finds possible that morning... not even I could have found
that cache without the help of the other geocachers and my crew. If there is
a true Co-FTF.. this would have been the cache (but since it was my
balloon.... we all agreed to let me sign the logbook first and claim the
first find! LOL).  I was in the company of Rugerdog, AJ.JR and Flatiron and
we had an awsome time. That was probably the most fun I had ever had
geocaching. It was a very social and fun morning. For me, combining two
things that I enjoy doing most... made for a grand adventure. Anytime I can
get out and go for a hike for a cache with another team is always fun and
makes the hunt more enjoyable and social. I havent found a cache in over a
month now. In fact, I found my first cache since July 23rd just a couple of
days ago. Up here, I now have to drive 30 miles just to find one cache. With
the cost of gas these days... I just dont bother to go caching much.
Anyways, back to the topic.. I must say that when I was caching for the
numbers and seeking that #1 status... I also found my attitude toward the
game a bit different than it is now. It irritated me when I saw what "I
considered to be"  a not so legitimate 'find' log or whatever (and I will
not get into what I consider not legitimate for fear of someone drilling me
a new a**hole on the listserv! LOL). I always kept it to myself though and
perhaps in some private discussions with other cachers. But to each their
own... everyone is welcome to play the game as they see fit. My personal
rule of thumb... a rule I have had since the first day I geocached and still
a rule today... if I cant put my name in the cache logbook, I dont claim a
find log on it. To me, just putting my eyes on the cache isn't a find. If
there is a rattlesnake sitting on the cache... I will either move it or wait
for it to move, because I have to get that logbook in my hands to sign it.
But that is just how I prefer to play the game. I dont care how others play.
These days, I dont have to rush off to find another cache for a 'big
numbers' day and I dont mind waiting for the snake to leave on it's own! :))

Scott
Team Ropingthewind