[Az-Geocaching] READ THIS CACHE SITE -

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:35:40 MST 2005

Dan, I think you are missing the point here that Shadowace and Cameron are
saying. You are correct, Highpointer is totally within reason to say what he
wants as far as opinions are concerned. It is america after all. BUT... what
you might not know is that Highpointer has PRIVATELY emailed other cachers
(on several occasions that I have been told about) and told them that he
didn't think how they handled a certain Travel bug was correct.

One case in point: a good friend of mine, who is also a regular
geocacher.... placed a travel bug in a cache that was in east mesa. It was a
somewhat urban cache, but in a large desert field. I would say this cache
was definitely not near where muggles would particularly stumble upon it
(anymore so than any other urban cache). It was probably 400' from the
nearest road in a fairly thick desert field. The next day he gets an email
from Highpointer (who is NOT the owner of this travel bug and is also NOT
the owner of this cache) saying that he shouldn't have placed a TB in that
cache as that cache is too urban and too likely to end up missing (therefore
I guess placing the TB at risk of disappearing).

Highpointer can state his opinions in his logs.. there is no harm done in
that (although sometimes this too can create problems as some people aren't
particularly strong mentally and might take them as harmful words). But, for
him to email other cachers PRIVATELY and tell them that he thinks this or
that is wrong... well that is just plain WRONG!!!!

I wouldn't go as far as Brian did and tell Highpointer to take a hike or
anything... but Highpointer needs to just play his game how he wants to play
it and keep it at that and not tell other people how to play it.

Quoted in two ways:

"I don't think that travel bugs should be placed in high traffic area
caches"

"You should not place travel bugs in high traffic area caches"

Those two sentences are two very similar quotes but yet very different
quotes. The first is simply stating an opinion, the second is a command.
Getting private emails like the second is not cool.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind