[Az-Geocaching] Claiming a find when you can't..

David Thompsen dthompsen at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 28 19:57:57 MST 2004

Heck... that's nothing.

There's a guy out there I've seen that shatters all concepts of caching morality.

One must ask... What would you do?

1)  A guy.... drops off a container with his signature in it when he couldn't find the original container.

2)  A guy ... claims a find when the container is known to be gone.

3)  A guy...  finds a cache.  The container is changed by the owner slightly because the original container was muggled. The guy goes back out and claims the find again, even though the new container is in exactly the same place.

4)  A guy... travels out of town and finds a cache that is known to be gone, but since the cache owner has long since abandoned Geocaching.com and that cache, the guy feels safe in logging a find, knowing that no one will call him on it.

5)  A guy... finds a cache by himself --- or alternately, his caching partner finds it without him.  In both cases, the find is claimed by both parties.

6  A guy... claims a find, when the container is gone --- but he reached the spot that the GPSr said, so he felt like claiming a find.

7)  guy... demands help on a puzzle he can't figure out since he's coming to the area, and it's not worth his time to try to solve it.  This guy gets indignant when he's told that it's a puzzle, and not a traditional.

What would you think of this guy?

Everyone plays the recreation/activity/sport/hobby the same way... according to their own morals.

Of course... your mileage may vary.

---Dave, The Cow Spots

michele hawley <tacodust1 at hotmail.com> wrote:
I'm suprised that somebody would log a find like that, I thought it was bad
enough to go check up on one of mine and find it in a totally diferent spot
than where I put it! But, that I guess has good intentions, but, Isn't that
just a NO, NO. It should be a dnf or they should've contacted the owner
before taking that leap! So even though what you did might seem like a bossy
move I think it was the smartest thing to do Mr. Shadow ;)