[Az-Geocaching] Claiming a find when you can't..

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Sun Nov 28 09:41:28 MST 2004

The way I see it is simple.  It's no different than logging a find on a
cache you hide.  The ultimate effect becomes the cacher cheating themselves
and padding their numbers for a variety of reasons.  If you're close enough
to see the cache, get the friggin' thing and sign the logbook.  If the area
is protected by a rattlesnake, call it a day and try again later.  If bees
are present, either be stupid and take your chances, or...come back another
day.  You may have 'found' the cache, but without physical contact and
putting pen (or pencil) to paper and validating your visit, you haven't
'FOUND' the cache.  Virtuals/locationless clearly have different rules, but
those are understood and don't apply in the case of traditional caches.
Replacing a cache that you can't find, and subsequently logging a find is
really no different than logging a find on your own cache, except for the
fact that you don't own it.  It's one thing if you're replacing a cache for
someone in the event that it is KNOWN to be MIA, but I don't think you
should really be logging a find in that case.  Replacing a cache for someone
suggests having already found it, because you should know where it was
originally hidden.

Brian
Team A.I.