[Az-Geocaching] Another cacher finds body near Las Vegas

RAND HARDIN listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 16:37:26 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C411BE.4AAE1E80

Jake asked about whether law enforcement would understand waypoints:

About a year ago I found a newly stolen vehicle abandoned in Bulldog Cany=
on.  I called the sheriffs dept and gave them the necessary information a=
bout the vehicle and location.  I then asked the dispatcher, if I gave he=
r coordinates to the vehicle if that would help.  She said: "definitely!"=
  She told me that their search and rescue units are equipped with GPSrs.=
  I imagine if we discover something anywhere "off trail" that search and=
 rescue would be notified.  I don't know about local police though, but I=
 would imagine that police helicopters would be equipped. =20

Rand (RandMan)

----- Original Message -----
From: insomniak@cox.net
Sent: Wednesday, March 24, 2004 3:47 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Another cacher finds body near Las Vegas

Perhaps we should consider posting instructions on what to do when coming=
 across someone's unfortunate demise.

I'm kinda curious my self as to what are the proper steps to help out law=
 enforcement.  =20

Is it necessary to contact "9-1-1" or would it be more appropriate to con=
tant a non-emergency number?

Which agency to do contact when you are (insert your favorite caching loc=
ation here.)?

If you are out of range for your cell phone to work, how do you go about =
contacting law enforcment? =20

Will dispatchers be able to understand you giving them waypoint informati=
on?

There are other questions I can't think of now, but I'm sure I will later=

I think Brian of Team A.I. (my team) and Trisha would probably have alot =
of information.  It only seems likely that more cachers will find these t=
ypes of things, and knowing what to do ahead of time.

Jake - Team A.I.  =20

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C411BE.4AAE1E80

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV><U>Jake asked =
about whether law enforcement would understand waypoints:</U></DIV> <DIV>=
&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>About a year ago I found a newly stolen vehicle abandon=
ed&nbsp;in Bulldog Canyon.&nbsp; I called the sheriffs dept and gave them=
 the necessary information about the vehicle and location.&nbsp; I then a=
sked the dispatcher, if I gave her coordinates to the vehicle if that wou=
ld help.&nbsp; She said: "definitely!"&nbsp; She told me&nbsp;that&nbsp;t=
heir <EM>search and rescue</EM> units <U>are</U> equipped with GPSrs.&nbs=
p; I imagine if we discover something anywhere "off trail" that <EM>searc=
h and</EM> <EM>rescue</EM> would be notified.&nbsp;&nbsp;I don't know abo=
ut local police though, but I would imagine&nbsp;that police helicopters =
would be equipped.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Rand (RandMan)</DIV=
> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT=
: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0p=
x"> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <D=
IV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial; COLOR: black"><B>From:=
</B> insomniak@cox.net</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B>=
 Wednesday, March 24, 2004 3:47 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">=
<B>To:</B> listserv@azgeocaching.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial=
"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] Another cacher finds body near Las Vega=
s</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>Perhaps we should consider posting instructions =
on what to do when coming across someone's unfortunate demise.<BR><BR>I'm=
 kinda curious my self as to what are the proper steps to help out law en=
forcement.&nbsp; <BR><BR>Is it necessary to contact "9-1-1" or would it b=
e more appropriate to contant a non-emergency number?<BR><BR>Which agency=
 to do contact when you are (insert your favorite caching location here.)=
?<BR><BR>If you are out of range for your cell phone to work, how do you =
go about contacting law enforcment? <BR><BR><STRONG><U>Will dispatchers b=
e able to understand you giving them waypoint information?<BR></U></STRON=
G><BR>There are other questions I can't think of now, but I'm sure I will=
 later.<BR><BR>I think Brian of Team A.I. (my team) and Trisha would prob=
ably have alot of information.&nbsp; It only seems likely that more cache=
rs will find these types of things, and knowing what to do ahead of time.=
<BR><BR>Jake - Team A.I.&nbsp; <BR><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C411BE.4AAE1E80--