[Az-Geocaching] JEEP Essay Contest - continued

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:55:51 -0700 (MST)

Well, in case you couldn't find it in all that Jeep/Geocaching/TB
stuff....here it is...if you like it, be sure to nominate me after 8/1!

The criteria is supposed to be:
30% applicable to geocaching experience
40% creativity
30% suitable for advertising and promotional purposes (for JEEP!)

jeep.geocaching.com

Submitted 6/29/04 for Jeep TB #0053 by Lightning1996YCJP
Here is the essay:

OK, honey, got it? West... 112... 28, yup, that's it. Tell them we
have water but we're stuck. Love you! - um, yes, we DID find the
cache...". As my cell faded, I added, "and the JEEP TB," holding it up
as I returned down towards my hopelessly stuck Toyota and my
geocaching partner, Ron, who was anxious for good news.
"You reach anyone?"

"Yes, don't worry. My wife will send help."

Getting dark, I peered up the boulder-strewn, deeply rutted "road"
that we had somehow tumbled down. I had heard that this mountainous
backcountry south of Prescott, Arizona, was rugged. It IS! What I
thought was a short cut to that cache....oh well! The Yellow Jeep TB
was worth the effort!

At sunrise, I heard the drone of an airplane. We waved as he made
several passes, confirming our GPS coordinates. Now we felt assured
the ground searchers would locate us....yeah, over that road? I
mused....why not send a chopper?

Soon I heard vehicles chewing up the rocks and ruts. Four-wheel drive
headed our way! I secretly hoped that they'd get stuck, too, then I
wouldn't feel like such an idiot! However, we were quickly greeted by
four Sheriff's search and rescue volunteers in two vehicles, and I
could see two additional Jeeps up the hill.

"Wow, are we glad to see you!" Ron cried out.

"We hear that alot. Glad you are OK. Grab your personal gear and load
up. You can worry about your Four-Runner later."

We each climbed into the back of a JEEP - an older, rugged CJ-7 and a
newer, fully-equipped Wrangler - for the ride out.

"I was worried you guys couldn't get to us," I shouted forward.

My rescuer smiled back, "That's why we're called the JEEP Posse!"