[Az-Geocaching] Re: Better Schools in Arizona?

Bill listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 00:22:51 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C3DE22.5F983210

A tirade about ESL or "bad" kids and teachers does nothing to address =
problems in schools.  On average, schools in Arizona are around the =
midpoint of states in the US, based upon achievement test scores.  Not =
too bad, but still far from perfect.

I have been teaching Community College here in AZ for 22+ years, so I =
have seen the product turned out by our public schools.  We get some =
great kids.  Every year some of them amaze me with their brilliance, =
dedication to learning, and work ethic.  And, they still find time to =
chase the other gender!  Don't sell our kids short.  They are doing =
pretty well overall.

If you really want to improve the schools, get involved in your kid's =
education.  Education is a partnership between the parents and teachers. =
 Neither can do it alone.  Oh, and a free, quality education is a RIGHT, =
not a priviledge.

Judging by the quality of the spelling and grammar in a recent negative =
post about education, I can understand why some people think the schools =
are failing.  Not every kid gets a great education, but overall I would =
give our public schools in AZ a "B."

If you want to go the private school route, one of my sons teaches at a =
VERY expensive private high school in Tucson.  For about 30K per year, =
you can just send your child there.

Bill in Willcox
------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C3DE22.5F983210

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>A tirade about ESL or =
"bad" kids and=20
teachers does nothing to address problems in schools.&nbsp; On average, =
schools=20
in Arizona are around the midpoint of states in the US, based upon =
achievement=20
test scores.&nbsp; Not too bad, but still far from perfect.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>I have been teaching =
Community=20
College here in AZ for 22+ years, so I have seen the product turned out =
by our=20
public schools.&nbsp; We get some great kids.&nbsp; Every year some of =
them=20
amaze me with their brilliance, dedication to learning, and work =
ethic.&nbsp;=20
And, they still find time to chase the other gender!&nbsp; Don't sell =
our kids=20
short.&nbsp; They are doing pretty well overall.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>If you really want to =
improve the=20
schools, get involved in your kid's education.&nbsp; Education is a =
partnership=20
between the parents and teachers.&nbsp; Neither can do it alone.&nbsp; =
Oh, and a=20
free, quality education is a RIGHT, not a priviledge.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Judging by the quality of =
the=20
spelling and grammar in a recent negative post about education, I can =
understand=20
why some people think the schools are failing.&nbsp; Not every kid gets =
a great=20
education, but overall I would give our public schools in AZ a =
"B."</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>If you want to go the =
private school=20
route, one of my sons teaches at a VERY expensive private high school in =

Tucson.&nbsp; For about 30K per year, you can just send your child=20
there.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Bookman Old Style" size=3D2>Bill in=20
Willcox</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0120_01C3DE22.5F983210--