[Az-Geocaching] Used Garmin Extrex Legend/Vista?

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 18:05:01 -0800

>From: "William Noll" <wnoll@cybertrails.com>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: RE: [Az-Geocaching] Used Garmin Extrex Legend/Vista?
>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 20:41:15 -0700
>
>This got me curious...
>
>I could not find any screws or anything obvious either, without peeling
>back
>the rubber (on my Vista)

Howdy William, I did take apart my Legend to have a look at it. There are
not screw. The top and bottom 'body' pieces are actually held together by
clips. Then, after you take the rubber off, there are two layers of a tape
type material (I beleive this is for waterproofing and it was makes the
Etrex Legend waterproof). These two layers, as well as the rubber, are held
in tight by some kind of glue or adhesive. I am still trying to find out
which kind to use. I saw an article on how to glue the rubber back on and
what to use somewhere on the internet. But, cant find the web site that had
the article. Still searching for it. Anyways, after taking it apart, it is
fairly simple and straightforward. There is a main circuit board and behind
that is a small motherboard of sorts.  Then, there is a small wiring harness
going from the battery compartment to a connection point. I checked
everything over good and dont see any loose wires, soldering, or anything. I
cant see anything wrong with it.

>Okay.... Did you try fresh batteries? That's step one in the
>troubleshooting
>section. Perhaps removing them for a while will help reset it.

Duh! :) That was the first thing I did! I didnt even look at the
troubleshooting guide, they are wortheless! They tell you to do everything
you already tried! Twice!

>Did you recreate the event? Sometimes dropping and striking something will
>jar it back into operation (Fonzi principle).

I thought about that, I have nothing to loose, it doenst work anyways! :)

>Try an alternate power supply (the cigarette lighter adapter) to see if the
>battery portion of the system is the problem.

That is a very good idea. I did try it and it still didnt work though. I
thought perhaps there might be a problem with the battery compartment. But,
no such luck.

>Try connecting it to a PC to see if the problem is with the display portion
>of the system (the PC will show the coordinates if the screen is dead).

The GPS has to be on for any GPS program (mapsource, easygps, etc) to see if
the GPS unit is doing anything.

I will go ahead and pay the $99 and have Garmin do a total overhaul/rebuild
on it. The case is in perfect condition with not even a single scrach on it.
I use it while it is in a Garmin supplied case. So, it stays clean and
scratch free. So, with a whole new inside, it will be a new GPS again! I
might still go ahead and get a Vista and make the Legend a backup. I have
been meaning to get a backup GPS anyways. Wish I had done that earlier
though!

Thanks all for the help! I will send it in on Monday.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime