[Az-Geocaching] Used Garmin Extrex Legend/Vista?

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 17:48:53 -0800

>From: "Rob Brinkerhoff" <brinkerhoff@cox.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Used Garmin Extrex Legend/Vista?
>Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 18:39:13 -0700
>
>How did the old traditional balloonist navigate in the "old
>days" without a GPS?
>A lost art...
>
>-WJ

Not very accurately, that's fore sure!!!!!! :) LOL

GPS's have made competition balloon flights MUCH more accurate and we are
now often times able to 'steer' our balloons within meters or less of a
target's center. Back in the early days, a baggie drop of 500' or more was
considered good. Now, if you cant get your marker/baggie within the center
square of the X (less than a half a meter from dead center), you are
probably not in the prize money! Also, many competitive flights now require
GPS, as the tasks/goals of each flight are simply too complicated and simply
not attainable without a GPS unit on board. NABA, the sanctioning body for
competitive ballooning in the US now using Garmin supplied GPS's onboard
every balloon (these are a 'black box' type thing that tracks our every
move).

Now, on 'local' flights, I do typically carry my GPS on board. I use it to
tell the control tower of an airport I might be flying near my exact
position (rather than guestimating). But, if I am outside controlled
airspace, I rarely use the GPS. It's main uses are in competition flying and
adventure flying, where routing and mapping work is critical.

Yep... in the old days, they didnt have GPS's on board their balloons, they
didnt need them. They could barely fly them as it was much less trying to
navigate with precision!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com