[Az-Geocaching] In awe.....of......Brian.........

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 04 Aug 2004 22:54:36 -0700 (MST)

Wow.

All I can say is...Brian, you continue to amaze me. I barely
understand much of what you talk about half the time, (that is a
compliment!) but I love to try. I am SO glad I got to meet you at the
Prescott Event!!

Having said that, I will say no more as I don't know a thimble-full's
worth of stuff about this topic, therefore I feel I have no credible
opinion one way or the other.

It's a game and it's a free country (at least for now).

HAVE FUN. IF IT CEASES TO BE FUN, DO SOMETHING ELSE THAT IS FUN. (and
in general, Stop whining?!)

There, I said that! :-)

Trisha "Lightning"

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 23:34:05 -0600, "Brian Casteel" wrote:

> 7/3/2000 Geocaching.com registered.  4/1/2002 GeoToad begins
> development.
> Which parallel universe contains the missing 2 years of development?
> This
> can be verified by clicking on the >>See Older News Items at the
> bottom of
> the front page.  It isn't until 4/26/2003 that a public release was
> completed.
>
> Now, reading a little more recent, we have a snippet from this little
> gem:
>
> <snippet>
> International searches broken
> 16aug2003 12:31
> Jonat Brander gave me another bug report today: Searching for
> geocaches in
> other countries does not work. It seems geocaching.com is in the
> process of
> making regional searches work inside countries outside of North
> America. Of
> course, they've implemented this in a way to give <keywords here>page
> scrapers like GeoToad<keywords here> a hard time.   </snippet>
>
> So they admit to the nature of the software, part of what gc.com has
> problem with.  Granted, just in reading about updates, it sounds like
> killer
> software, but the issues need to be addressed.  What was the problem
> universities and ISPs had early-on when p2p programs like Napster and
> Limewire came out?  Bandwidth, bandwidth, bandwidth.  Costs
skyrocketed
> because it was being consumed at an astronomical rate.  In this case,
> it's
> potentially thousands of users pointing their IP address at the
> geocaching.com domain exclusively, not some loosely affiliated
> bandwidth/resource sharing p2p service.  What I see Groundspeak doing
> is
> asking that the developers cease-and-desist, nothing more...yet.  We
> don't
> know what (if anything) is going on behind the scenes, nor is it our
> business unless tptb choose to make it so.  You can't say that you
know
> anything about what is going on within the realm of negotiation
unless
> you're somehow directly involved in development/distribution of
GeoToad