[Az-Geocaching] forwarded forum post about micro/urban caches.. from Daniel J. Karam

GUY ALDRICH listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 06:04:05 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gale <sonoralovesmommy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Of course, if you live in a strictly urban setting
> like New York City, you
> are probably resigned to microcaches, but for the
> majority of us with many
> parks and acres of forests around, we don't have an
> excuse.
>
> Next time you place a cache......let's get back to
> what made us want to go
> geocaching in the first place."
>
> I had to respond to this one.
>
> I dont have a 4 wheel drive. My back and hip injury
> is severe enough that going out for a long drive and
> on a back road would preclude me from any activity
> for awhile, not to mention being on pain meds. I am
> happy that most of you can go on and enjoy these
> caches. My enjoyment in geocaching comes mainly from
> those "despised" urban caches.
>
> This article was written by someone who wants to
> return to the days where only physically fit people
> have access to caches. Like it or not, other people
> have become geocachers. Physically unfit people have
> discovered an activity they can enjoy. I dont see
> why both cache types cant co-exist? Ive seen some
> nice rural caches, as well as junky ones. Same with
> urban caches. What made me get into geocaching was
> the joy of having an activity that I could enjoy
> without suffering discomfort, of still having a
> reason to get outside and enjoy the day. The quote
> from the article reflects a mentality that little or
> no urban caches should exist. Since Scott agrees
> with this article, Im guessing that he doesnt think
> they should exist, or that more rural caches should
> be placed. Please dont take this the wrong way
> Scott, but you do realize that instead of
> complaining about the lack of rural caches and over
> abundance of urban micros...that maybe you can place
> a few yourself? Personally I happe!
> n to
>  like urban microcaches. I like the challenge.
>
> "Again, lately I have really been enjoying the
> occasional cache I have found
> as I have been really only doing wilderness hiking
> caches around Sedona.
> They are my kind of fun."
>
> Thats great Scott, but it is not my idea of fun.
> Feel free to play your way. I cant do those kinds of
> caches. Ever since falling down stairs 12 yrs ago, I
> have not had the mobility I used to have. I would
> like to continue to play the game my way without
> feeling like an unwelcome outsider. I dont complain
> about all the 4 wheel drive caches or the
> mountaintop caches that I can never get to. Please
> stop complaining about the caches I can enjoy.
> Geocaching should be a game for all kinds of people.

Gale,I agree!Caching should be for everyone!I don't
see

anything creative in an ammo box under some rocks!If I

want to show cachers a scenic area,I can put a micro

there to do that!In fact you often have to be more

creative to conceal a micro in an urban location!

I enjoy the adventure of the hunt!!It does not matter

the size of the container!

Guy