[Az-Geocaching] Help! Can't find graldrich's caches and NOW can't find geocaching.com!!!

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:26:33 -0700 (MST)

Well, I will proudly log a FTNF (First To Not Find) on graldrich's
cache if I could bring up the geocaching site....what's the deal????

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 15:12:07 -0700 (MST), "Trisha" wrote:

> I wanted to chime in and say "DITTO" to Andy's response.
>
> When placing a cache, I do exactly that kind of physical averaging
> with the GPS (let it settle, move off, come back and settle, etc)
> followed by a quick mental averaging of the readings. I try to take 6
> readings from at least 4 different directions, write them down, and
> then average the readings approximately. So far, using that method,
> the readings of the caches I have hidden have been fairly accurate.
> (With one exception....anyone remember my cache up at Goldwater Lake
> in Prescott? "All That Glitters....". Those coords were at least 60
> feet off due to the messy satellite reception from the trees, but
> luckily it was pretty obvious where the cache was hidden since the
> actual coords left you standing in the middle of a blank area in the
> forest with a pile of branches and trimmings 60 feet away. I moved it
> when I realized that was a slash pile for burning....)
>
> I just had a FIRST "FIRST TO NOT FIND" (FTNF) that I am quite proud
> of....graldrich's "Cordes Junction" cache. Good luck finding that
> sucker!!!
>
> Trisha "Lightning"
> Prescott
>

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:45:37 -0700, "Andrew Ayre" wrote:
>

> > What I do to try and ensure an accurate measurement of where I
> placed a
> > cache, and hasn't failed on me yet:
> >
> > Stand at the cache for a couple of minutes allowing the GPS unit to
> > "settle
> > down". Mark a waypoint.
> > Walk away from the cache anywhere from 20ft - 60ft (as far as the
> > vegetation
> > will allow) and walk back to the cache. Wait a moment. Mark a
> > waypoint. I
> > repeat this step three or four times walking away and coming back
> from
> > different directions.
> > I then look at all the waypoints I marked and pick a middle one or
> the
> > consensus (basically a quick mental averaging).
> >
> > A cache that has been messed with could be anyone - kids, someone
> with
> > gps, dog, etc. IMO if you leave a box with stuff in it lying
around,
> > expect
> > it to be messed with at some point. Just rehide it in a better
> > location.
> >
> > Andy

Cache