[Az-Geocaching] Re: Been There, Done That

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 02 Apr 2004 21:31:52 -0800

>From: Scott Sparks <scottsparks1@mchsi.com>

>A team that splits up to find caches is fine, as long as you're not trying
>to break a record in the process.

>-- Sprocket

In my personal opinion, a team that splits up is NEVER fine. Not for a
record breaking day, not for any day. If you a are top ranked cacher and
working toward reaching the #1 spot, I sure hope, Sprocket, that you
yourself was at each and every cache you logged as a find. I know I was and
I got to #1 very legitimately. I hope that the next team that takes me out
of the #1 spot will play it as fairly as I did. I know the stats are a big
screwed up right now, but Sprocket, you are quite possibly in the #1 spot
right now. If not, you are very close and will do so any day now. I sure
hope you are playing it as straight up as I am. I have seen your logs all
over the place and we have met up at caches many times. So, I am confident
you play the game fairly. But, why would you suggest in your post above that
you think it is ok to split up your team to find caches!? Have you done this
in the past!?

Anyone can play this game any way they like... there really are no hard set
rules. However, there is certain etiquette and rules that the top teams tend
to maintain... in honor of good sportsmanship and respect for our fellow
'competitors' (as we most certainly are sometimes!).  Splitting a team up to
find caches in certainly NOT one of them. I know myself, I have been at
EVERY single one of the 1,210 caches I have found and only I wrote my log in
the logbook and then online. I have other teammates that go with me on
occasion, but I am ALWAYS at every cache I find. I will not allow another
teammate to take another GPS and split off to get other caches. If they want
to do this.. they log those finds as another team. AZSaluki.... Jim is
always at all of their caches they find. Kristen is at many of them, but Jim
is at all of them. I believe that Wyle E has also stuck by this 'rule'.

Just my personal opinion. But, anything less is cheating in my book. In this
game.. I guess you are just cheating yourself if that is how you have been
doing it. Of course, you would also be cheating your fellow cachers who have
worked very hard and legitimately to get to the top as well.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

Limited-time offer: Fast, reliable MSN 9 Dial-up Internet access FREE for 2
months!