[Az-Geocaching] Another cacher finds body near Las Vegas

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 23:09:04 -0700 (MST)

I am finally getting to these OH SO MANY emails in my inbox...

Yes, don't disturb the scene, except to ascertain if the person is
alive, if they are not obviously dead. (It is usually quite obvious).
If you do approach a body to see if they are alive, approach from one
direction, do not walk around, do not touch anything except one place
on the skin (pulse) and retreat in your own footsteps. Then remember
to tell the law enforcement which footprints are yours and why.

Also remember to be VERY careful, if the person is simply asleep and
you startle them you are likely to get hurt. Yell at them from about
10 feet away first.

Keep in mind that when you call 9-1-1 from a cell phone, you may be
talking to someone in Kansas or someplace. You need to ask to be
connected to (your local county sheriff) or at least tell the operator
EXACTLY where you are, including state.

If you know the number for your local agency, call that instead of
911, unless the person is alive.

Most dispatchers won't understand coordinates but they will write them
down if you tell them exactly what to write. Try to give road numbers
and distance from known points as well.

If you are not in cell-phone range, take the coordinates of the body,
drive/walk out to where your cell phone works and call it in. Some
agencies may suspect you so be prepared to be questioned.

This happens alot up here, esp near Bloody Basin and north of
Wickenburg. Seems the bad guys drive just far enough outside of Phx
before dumping the bodies. Our forest deputies always have a "latest
story" of a dead body found. Sad.

Those 2 kids found shot off Bloody Basin road (in their truck) was so
sad. I was involved in the evidence line search on one day with other
Posse and SAR members.

I think I answered everything?

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott