[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Customer Service

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:06:51 -0700

Some ideas:

Maybe Motorola was overpricing in the first place?
Maybe Motorola has cheaper manufacturing facilities or in-house
manufacturing facilities overseas?
Maybe more people buy GMRS devices than GPS units = economy of scale?
GPS units have more complicated hardware and firmware than GMRS radios.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
William Noll
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 8:48 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Customer Service

    Are you sure it is really a resurrection of your old unit (did it still
have personal data / waypoints)? You may have a brand new unit.
Refurbishment costs big money (especially for American electronics
technicians with small hands to repair Taiwan-made units) and it is
significantly less expensive to replace a unit with a new or a factory
refurbished one. Faster, too.

    Which brings me to a curious thought for the group:

    FRS / GMRS radios have gone from $150 each for a Motorola Talkabout 5
years ago, to Motorola GMRS Two-Packs under $50 today. So then, why has the
basic GPS unit not been able to fall to the under $20 range? The technology
is not exactly 'new' anymore (it was first initiated in 1973, operable in
1993) and the US government provides all necessary operating specs free of
charge. So is this price-fixing?

Bill