[Az-Geocaching] GPS on Commercial Airliner?

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 15:09:33 -0700

The most frequent reason for not allowing cell phones, GPSs, etc, is
supposedly because aircraft have limited RF interference shielding for the
electronics, the cockpit GPS units being one of those systems they want to
avoid inteference affecting.
However, this seems more silly all the time. Some airlines are performing
trial runs of wireless ethernet, plus PDAs with a built in cell phone (or is
it the other way around? ;)) are not banned by the FAA.

http://news.com.com/2100-1034_3-1010231.html

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
RopingThe Wind
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 2:56 PM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] GPS on Commercial Airliner?

>From: "Teryr Hernlund - [General Bracket]" <generalbracket@cox.net>
>To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
>Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] GPS on Commercial Airliner?
>Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:03:19 -0700
>
>In any event, depending on the airline (America West has a strict policy
>against GPSr's), just pack it in >your carry-on like the rest of your
>stuff.  Don't act suspicious and you won't be placed under >suspicion.

That is interesting.. because they have all kinds of GPS equiptment in the
cockpit!

I fly hot air balloons (FAA certified aircraft) and I always use GPS on
board. An interesting note I thought yall might be interested in:  I use two
way radio communication with my ground crew. The radios are Motorola VHF
radios. When my radio is turned on, I lose GPS sattelite reception. This has
happened with all my GPS's.. my Magellan 300, my Garmin 3+ and my Garmin
Etrex Legend. So, when I am flying in competitions where my GPS is being
used constantly, I cannot have my radio on and talk to my ground crew as my
GPS will stop tracking! I havent really tried changing frequencies in my
radio's to see if that would fix the problem. But, have been wanting to try
that (my crew if good and I rarely have to talk to them anyways except when
getting ready to land). On the other hand, my aircraft radio (ICOM IC-A22),
which operates on higher frequencies, has no effect on my GPS. Interesting!

On the flip side of the coin.. my GPS's have no effect on the radio's or any
other instruments at all.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind