[Az-Geocaching] Cheater / Not Cheater

Marc Leitermann listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 29 May 2003 11:18:19 -0400 (EDT)

To all who worry:

I would like to thank Jon (Aus Dem Kasten) for telling me about this thread on alleged cheating.  Here’s my thoughts, for what they are worth.

Looking thru the national site, I found this:

“What are the rules in Geocaching?
Geocaching is a relatively new phenomenon. Therefore, the rules are very simple:
1. Take something from the cache
2. Leave something in the cache
3. Write about it in the logbook “

Looking at the on-line log entries for several caches, including several I have logged, you can find any combination of these three ‘rules'.  Several clearly state they did not take something.  Well, how is that really different from not writing in the logbook? I take the use of the word ‘rule’ above as meaning a suggested action.  Certainly nothing engraved in stone.

Signing a log is definite proof the person was at the cache.  However, the reverse is not proof, of anything.  If someone (certainly not me!) wants to list a lot of caches he or she has not actually found, so what? Afraid of someone ‘headed for the last page of the stats’ (as AZFastFeet states) before you? I’m at a modest 270+, and am working to up that number, just as I suppose all of you are.  And although my biggest thrill is actually finding the cache, I also enjoy looking at the numbers.

I generally cache with two different friends – one who loves to dig thru the cache and see what’s there, and write in the book.  However, he quite often does not take and leave, since he forgets to bring something to exchange.

The other’s point of view is like mine – “he sounds weird because I am sure that lots of people just enjoy finding the cache (like us), not looking at the contents or signing a log - he is missing the point of the game (its suppose to be fun).” (This person is not even registered with the national site).

BTW, I list only caches I find.  Anything I cannot find (and there are a number)I do not list, nor do I make notes, etc.  This is my personal preference, so that when I look at my on-line listings, they are not cluttered up.

Do I plan on changing?  I do not believe I will.  I’m out to have fun.

Happy caching, wherever you are …………

Marc

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com