[Az-Geocaching] What's wrong with some true promotional caches?

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 10:28:49 -0700

Ken Akerman wrote:
> What would really be wrong with having some promotional caches, anyway?
> Some companies can establish promotional caches in exchange for
> advertising dollars that can be used to support Geocaching.com.  If a
> company pays millions of dollars to name a ballpark or stadium after
> itself or one of its products, then why can't the same company do the
> same (and pay a far lesser sum) for a cache?

	I wouldn't have too much of a problem with them if they were only
allowed if they were directly supporting geocaching.
At the same time I would hate to see geocaching pick up a whole bunch of
commercial caches.  It would end up like Ralf with his little orphan
anne secret decoder pin from "A Christmas Story".... it would all seem
exciting till you opened up the cache and said a quote from the movie "A
crummy commercial..... son of a bitch"

	I would bet they made the blanket rule so that it keeps people from
complaining to the geocacing.com admins about their commercial caches
not being approved when others were... if you don't approve any of them,
then you don't have to worry about a ton of extra work.
	A few sponsored caches would be a very cool thing.... garmin could make
an extremely difficult cache and put a high end GPS in it... that would
probably do more for advertising to their audience than they could
possibly do for a LOT more money.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek