[Az-Geocaching] Re: Cache Pirates

Tue, 6 May 2003 12:57:59 EDT

--part1_49.2e131650.2be94397_boundary

Well,
This is my view point having been hit by the pirate. I am new to geocaching,
love it. Have placed caches myself already (Pushing Tin being one of them,
and it was hit). I first thought when I found out about the pirate logging on
my cache page his hit, that it was just his tag line and that he hadn't
actually emptied my cache, but then learned he actually had. Upon learning
this my first thoughts were that this was a subculture within geocaching, and
although a little annoyed at my cache being hit by a pirate so soon after
placing it, no big deal I just would have to go restock it and check on its
placement. Now I see that this is new to this sport (pirates) and really I
don't see any harm done, especially with what the pirate has stated he plans
on doing (if he follows thru with it). It will just be a new adventure to
have to go find my plundered goods and return them home to pushing tin, plus
an added part of the game to try and figure out who the pirate is. I would
think as long as he only plunders the little items (leaving log books and
possible travel bugs that may be in caches) its not any real harm, only makes
a cache placer go out to his own cache to restock it and then gives him a new
twist to try and find his plundered goods. I would suggest that the pirate
also offer the hit cache owner the right to ask him (the pirate) to return
the goods taken and the right not to participate in the pirates game, thus
leaving those who do not want to be part of his sub-game not bound by it.
Just my opinion as a new cacher and a recent victim of the pirate. I thank
you all for offering this great new sport to my adventures. IFISHAZ (Dennis
P).

--part1_49.2e131650.2be94397_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Well,<BR>
This is my view point having been hit by the pirate. I am new to geocaching,=
 love it. Have placed caches myself already (Pushing Tin being one of them,=20=
and it was hit). I first thought when I found out about the pirate logging o=
n my cache page his hit, that it was just his tag line and that he hadn't ac=
tually emptied my cache, but then learned he actually had. Upon learning thi=
s my first thoughts were that this was a subculture within geocaching, and a=
lthough a little annoyed at my cache being hit by a pirate so soon after pla=
cing it, no big deal I just would have to go restock it and check on its pla=
cement. Now I see that this is new to this sport (pirates) and really I don'=
t see any harm done, especially with what the pirate has stated he plans on=20=
doing (if he follows thru with it). It will just be a new adventure to have=20=
to go find my plundered goods and return them home to pushing tin, plus an a=
dded part of the game to try and figure out who the pirate is. I would think=
 as long as he only plunders the little items (leaving log books and possibl=
e travel bugs that may be in caches) its not any real harm, only makes a cac=
he placer go out to his own cache to restock it and then gives him a new twi=
st to try and find his plundered goods. I would suggest that the pirate also=
 offer the hit cache owner the right to ask him (the pirate) to return the g=
oods taken and the right not to participate in the pirates game, thus leavin=
g those who do not want to be part of his sub-game not bound by it. Just my=20=
opinion as a new cacher and a recent victim of the pirate. I thank you all f=
or offering this great new sport to my adventures. IFISHAZ (Dennis P).</FONT=