[Az-Geocaching] Ramblin' RTW

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 04 May 2003 21:25:46 -0700

No flaming please. I am simply asking a question and looking for some
suggestions and feedback.

I am thinking about making my next cache a 'non-members only' cache. Since
there are those out there who feel that us 'poor boyz' who cant afford a
membership (or for whatever other reason we choose not to have a charter
membership; my reasoning has something to do with it being FREE to play this
game) should not be able to find their members only caches. SO... I propose
making my next cache available only to those who DONT have a charter
membership. In other words, if you log a find on this cache and you are a
charter member, your log will be deleted. This will be cleary stated in the
cache description.....

.....Wait a minute.......

I am not going to do that. I just cant get myself to do that. I would rather
allow EVERYONE that opportunity to go for my caches. Well, ok.. so my caches
arent quite drive by caches and may already be limited to those who are able
to hike great distances and/or climb steep mountains. Why limit it anymore?
I have met some really nice people in the geocaching community. Some who are
members and some who are not. I want them all to be able to find my caches.
(ok, so I only have one caches hidden, but RTW-2 has been in the planning
stages recently and we have been considering hiding it very soon).

The way I figure it... making a cache MO is not going to save it from
plunder. Hiding it well on a wilderness type cache or being creative with a
cache container on an urban cache is what it takes these days to keep your
caches safe. And no, you dont need to do no freakin' puzzle crap to keep it
safe, just be creative in how you design and hide the container.

Most caches that get plundered are accidently stumbled upon. Ok.. so this
recent 'cache pirate' situation is not the same. They obviously have been
locating these caches on geocaching.com and going after them.

My take on charter memberships: It would do nothing for me. I read the
charter membership page and found out that I could get a one month
membership for a mere $3. I thought I would give it a try. But, after
reading all about it, I dont see what I am getting for my hard earned money.
A couple of options that I dont really even need. Being a business owner.. I
watch very closely where I spend my money and what I get for every dollar
spent. As Brian (Team AI) stated, there are other ways to support the site.
If ever I should need a new GPS or any accessories, I will most certainly
purchase from a geocaching.com vendor. This way, a percentage of my purchase
goes to support geocaching.com. Heck, just playing the game supports the
site.

Quite honestly... the only way I would ever purchase a charter membership
was if EVERYONE HAD to have a charter membership in order to even use the
services of geoaching.com. I do beleive the caches would be of greater
quality and we would have less issues with the land management agencies and
the public than we do now. But, I dont think this is realistic. Because, if
geocaching.com did that.. another web site would pop up anyways offering
their services for free and many would just switch.

Team RTW typically logs 30-40 caches or more a month. Last month (April), I
only logged 9 finds. I just havent been impressed with the current trends in
geocaching. I am getting bored of hiking some great distance on a hot
afternoon only to find the cache is not there, has been plundered, had wrong
coordinates posted (a new team hiding their first cache with no finds) or
any other reason. Offtrail just reported two caches in Cave Creek had been
plundered. Caches I have yet to go find. Black Cave was taken. I had really
been wanting to do that cache. It has been on my todo list for a long time.
Now, I will never get the chance. It is gone. Sounded like a really cool
piece of Arizona to explore. I guess I can still go there. But, would rather
have a cache to find in the process. A new cache in the San Tan Mountains
was plundered as well recently. Although still a very limited issue, this is
becoming more and more of a concern to me.

The other thing that is really irritating me is the fact that I have lost
several caches to my stats because they became members only after I had
already found it. I beleive a cache should not be changed over to a MO cache
after it was originally available to all. It screws up my numbers (yes, I am
into the numbers). I only cache in Arizona, so there should be no 'finds' in
my out of state column. I understand this issue is tough to resolve.. but, I
dont fault azgeocaching.com for it... I understand their situation with it
and why they cant correct this problem. There have been a few other cachers
who have mentioned this as well. So, for all those cache owners who choose
to change their caches over midlife to a MO cache.. help Brian and Jason out
so they dont have to deal with that issue. Leave your old caches the way
they were and make your new caches MO if you want to, then I will just not
go seek out those new caches. It will also keep the stats orderly and
simple.

Also.. and most importantly.. the thing that irritates me most about this
situation is that I can no longer view my log (my dairy if you will) on a
given cache that I found that has since become members only. Most people who
know me sometimes joke about my lengthy logs on caches. Well, those logs are
basically my diary of my experiences at that cache. That 'experience' is now
lost forever as I cant go back and read about it anymore. I like clicking on
the old caches that I have visited a year or two ago and reading my log and
reading some of the later logs on that cache. Now I cannot do that as the
owner has made it a members only cache. I now would have to pay for that
privelege if I want to view them.

As far as the so called 'cache pirate' goes: ignore him. He will go away.
The more you talk about him and the more everyone eggs him on (in terms of
threats and such), the more he will plunder. Simply put.. we should be
thankful that all he took was the cache contents. The most important
items... the container itself and the logbook.. are still there. This will
not be the last time someone like this will come along. Geocaching is
getting too public now and more and more people are hearing about it (I wish
it would have remained more of an 'underground' hobby, but with all the
media and such lately buzzing about geocaching...). But, it is not. So,
instead of changing your caches to MO... simply be more creative with them
and they will last longer. Why is it that some of the oldest geocaches are
still around, yet many new caches dont last a week? hhmmm.

Anyways, just some thoughts and ramblings from a cacher with 650 finds in 16
months.

Will I stop caching? Probably not. Generally speaking, it is alot of fun. I
just want to sit back a while and kinda see where the current trends with
geocaching goes. I will probably just be more selective in the caches I seek
out when I am in the mood to find a cache. Getting #1 in the rankings was a
big goal of mine.. but, that has kinda slipped into the background right
now. Business has been good this season and that has limited how much I have
been caching as well. But, I always have time to spare to find lots of
caches. But, I think I will slow down for a while and wait to see where this
all goes. Heck, look at how much money in gas I have saved lately!!!!!

Scott
Team RTW