[Az-Geocaching] Are there any members of this listserv from Flagstaff area?

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 10:24:07 -0700 (MST)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Scott Wood wrote:

> I have a virtual up on 89A just north of the Colorado River.  Imagine my
> surprise when I saw that Team Scotti has logged it. :-)
>
> I agree with the need for caches in the Flagstaff area though.  I travelled
> through there a few months ago and found a couple, but there were not many
> to pick from.

Yes, we were traveling back from the area around Vulcans Throne and Toroweap
Overlook when we grabbed a couple of caches along 89A (I had not expected to
be in that area, so I didn't have any printouts with me, so I was just
winging each cache site we approached), but as I approached this one virtual
along the road, even without the description, it was so obvious what the
focus of the virtual was, that we took our pix and continued our journey.
Imagine my surprise late that night after we had returned home as I logged
our finds when I discovered that not only was that cache a My Blue Heaven
virtual, but that I had it already on my watch list too!  :-)

I had a couple of cache containers ready to place, but the locations of all 3
of the caches are such that they had to be virtuals - one is on NPS land,
another on the Navajo reservation and the third just does not have a nearby
location for a physical cache.  We never did get to the place where I really
wanted to place a real cache that was out on either state land or National
Forest land.  Maybe another trip.  One concern I had about placing a real
cache in the Flagstaff area is that it is a 4+ hour drive from my home and
maintenance would prove difficult, so I wanted to be sure that if I did place
one there, that it was going to be a secure place and a worthwhile place.
Afterall, I only get up to that area maybe once every other year, and usually
on business for astronomical meetings and so on.  With the Lowell Observatory
and the USGS Astrogeology branch up there, it is a rather popular place to
hold various types of meetings and in the last decade or so, I've been there
about 4 times for meetings.

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory