[Az-Geocaching] Are there any members of this listserv from Flagstaff area?

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 09:57:02 -0700 (MST)

Well, I've done my part - I put 2 virtuals northeast of Flagstaff after a
trip up there at the end of last month, as well as another on the north rim
of the Grand Canyon....  So far, my 3 new virtuals have had exactly 1 log,
and that on the one closest to Flagpole.  Not that I was expecting heavy
traffic, particularly on the remote one, so I'm not concerned about the lack
of visitors....

Jim.

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, Ken Akerman wrote:

> Are there any members of this listserv from the Flagstaff area?  While it
> appears to me that the Phoenix metropolitan area is abundantly rich with
> caches, we can use a few more caches in the higher elevations around the
> Flagstaff area.  The Flagstaff area, with cooler weather, is a better
> place to be in summer than the Phoenix area, and there are extensive
> forested areas with low cache density.
>
> According to a search of current caches that I have done, there are 417
> caches within 25 miles of Mesa, but only 70 caches within 25 miles of
> Flagstaff.  Thus, the cache density in the eastern part of the Phoenix
> metropolitan area is nearly six times greater than the Flagstaff
> metropolitan area.  I would like to challenge Arizona geocachers to build
> and place more geocaches in the higher, cooler environs of the Flagstaff
> area.
>  Also, I have monitoring the differences in number of caches between
> Arizona and Utah.  While Arizona has 1574 caches, the state of Utah,
> which a substantially smaller population than Arizona, has 1714 caches.
> Why is Arizona lagging so far behind Utah?  We should be outpacing our
> neighboring state to the north.
>  (At least Arizona does beat some of our neighboring states, such as
> Colorado (831 caches) and New Mexico (424 caches)).
>
> Ken (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory
University of Arizona