[Az-Geocaching] HELP!!!

RopingThe Wind listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 19:49:32 -0700

>>I also have an Etrax Legend. One thing to try is to go to the Main Menu,
>>select Setup, then select Interface. This must be set to Garmin in order
>>work with Garmin products.  This setting may have changed if you used
>>other
>>software such as Microsoft Streets and Trips.

>make sure you have the gps communication protocol set to GARMIN other wise
>it wont work... make sure you have the correct comm port selected and the
>cable is in tight on both ends

Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, that is the first thing I checked!
Unfortunately, that is not the problem.

>>If this does not work, try calling Garmin support (they provide excellent
>>phone support).

That would be the only other thing I can think to do. Unfortunately, I leave
on Tuesday and if the GPS (which works fine otherwise) had to be taken in
for service or if I needed a new cable, there is no time for that.

So, I need to troubleshoot much deeper than the common and most obvious
scenarios and see if it is something I can correct.

BTW... Team Ropingthewind will be out of the Arizona geocaching scene for a
few months. I am taking a job flying balloons (which is what I do for a
living) up near Seattle, Washington. I will return in mid October.

I was hoping to do a bunch of caches on the way out of state (and likely on
the return as well). However, I want to be able to drop all the AZ waypoints
(of caches I havent yet found) into my GPS. This would obviously make
caching on the go much easier. I can drop all the caches into my PDA, but I
sitll have to manually put all the waypoints into my GPS. I dont like
geocaching that much!!!!! :) LOL  Anyways, having all the AZ geocaches I
havent found in my GPS would allow me to just 'take them as I see them'
along my route out of state. I can fit into my GPS and PDA every cache/cache
page in AZ I havent yet found. With this done, as I drive along and see
caches within a short distance either side of my route, I can check the PDA
to see the D/T rating of the cache and then GOTO on my GPS and go for it!

So, really want to get all these caches in my GPS. I also need to be able to
upload new maps into my GPS of the Seattle area as well as my route out of
AZ (for caches). The next thing I will do is try and do this on someone
else's computer. But, I dont think it is a problem with my computer. It
seems more like my GPS or data cable. But, not sure.  ???

Thanks!

Scott
Team Ropingthewind