[Az-Geocaching] Aspen Fire: Scopes & homes

Trisha listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:05:26 -0700 (MST)

Jim,
Thanks for the interesting reply, now that you mention it I do
remember that you are with Kitt. Ah, too many things to try to
recall....

I have been keeping up with the news, it really is tragic, yet good
that so far no one is badly hurt, as you said.

I keep one eye nervously watching the S-SW sky towards Prescott. And
keep praying for no more new fires. We are still in Red Flag
conditions. It will be nice when the drought ends and we can go back
to complaining about record snowfall and flash floods. (Hey, my friend
lives on Oklahoma and almost got hit by a tornado this year. AZ is a
relatively safe place to live compared to some other places!)

Thanks for the photos too

Trisha
Prescott

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:09:04 -0700 (MST), Jim Scotti wrote:

> Hi Trisha,
>     Our telescopes are over on Kitt Peak, no where near the Aspen
fire
> or the
> one in the Rincons, but they've just recently been clearing out some
> of the
> potential fuel sources around buildings up there and apparently they
> have
> been doin that near Mt. Lemmon telescopes as well recently.
>     I've been putting together a webpage with my pictures of the
Aspen
> fire -
> here's the URL.
> http://pirlwww.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/aspen_fire/
>     The fire looked like the first 2 days or even a little less than
> that
> before it blew up yesterday around noon or so.  I think it was
> creeping down
> into Marshall Gulch until it crossed the trail there and just roared
> up the
> side of the ridge on the other side and then on into Summerhaven.
The
> Mt.
> Lemmon telescopes are west of the ski area west of the fire.  I'm not
> optomistic about that direction since there isn't much to stop it
over
> there.
> Hopefully the clearing they did around the telescopes will keep the
> fire away
> - the whole area is relatively clear, as I recall.  I've never been
> into the
> telescope compound, but it's inside the radar facility and I've been
> to the
> fence when we were hiking down in the area around Cascade Spring and
> otu to
> the Lemmon Rock Lookout years ago.  In the other direction, the Mt.
> Bigelow
> observatory is east of the fire just north of the Catalina Highway
and
> I'm a
> bit more optomistic about it since the Bullock fire came within about
> a half
> mile of those telescopes last year, protecting it from the north
while
> the
> Mt. Lemmon highway would probably be a good firebreak if it came in
> from the
> west.
>     It was really sad to see the footage of houses burning in
> Summerhaven on
> the news last night.  From here, you can't really tell what exactly
is
> burning or where it is burning.  I've heard of only one injured
> firefighter
> so far and he was apparently overcome by heat exhaustion, so
hopefully
> nothing serious.  I think all the holdouts in Summerhaven left with
the
> firefighters about 12:30 - at least one of them (the owner of the
> Lodge, I
> think) was interviewed on the news last night.  A colleague here at
LPL
> own(ed) a cabin up in Summerhaven.  He was not optomistic about it
> surviving.
> His cabin was on the south end of Summerhaven in Carter Canyon and he
> was
> just crossing his fingers that maybe it went around that area into
> Summerhaven.  At least he has insurance.
>
> Jim.
>
> On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Trisha wrote:
>
> > Jim Scotti,
> >
> > Are those your scopes that are at risk from the fire? I don't know
> > where you work from.
> >
> > Commentary.....
> >
> > So sad to hear about the many people who have lost homes or a
> > business, esp. the ones who live up there are, as that is their
ONLY