[Az-Geocaching] Warning the Geocaching community about a new virus

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 11:06:43 -0700

Trisha wrote:
> It is the second one that has me more concerned...someone has taken an
> executable file and changed the suffix from .exe to .htm so the
> recipient
> thinks it's a harmless HTML page.

Oh it's much worse than that.  There is a bug in most of microsoft's
OSes that if unpatched will open stuff like that automatically if you
are using Outlook express or outlook (with MS patented virus transfer
protocol (VTP) http://www.satirewire.com/news/0103/outlook.shtml )
But seriously, the way it works is that the virus is put on an e-mail as
an attachment... this also works as a webpage with a similar setup...
the attachemnt is a mime attachement with some sort of executable date
format, and the suffix on the name of the attachement is some sort of
file that the e-mail program would normally show inline.  It can also be
the other way around with the name being an executable and the content
type being something that a virus can't be in.
Anyway... microsoft has had too many retarded formats for identifying an
  executable in the past and has retained all of them to remain
compatible and they get confused when you use conflicting types.
The first type will get you past the weak safe guards of the e-mail
system and the second will get passed along to the OS itself which will
reidentify the virus as an executable and run in.. poof your infected,
and all of this by just opening the mail... you don't even have to run
the attachment.
so... either update your systems frequently, or run a much better e-mail
program that doesn't use internet explorer to view e-mail messages, or
at least turn off viewing attachments all together.
One last thing... turn off your preview pane.  Make it so that you HAVE
to double click to open a message.  With the preview pane open, you
can't even delete a message without opening it, so even if you KNOW it's
  a virus you can't delete it without getting it.  That also leaves you
open to triggering spammers webbugs that report back to the spammer that
you did indeed open the message... so now they'll send you lots more
spam because you obviously open it.

<shameless linux plug>
You could always run linux and just do away with all viruses... there
aren't any known viruses that are currently capable of running, and in
the extremely  rare case when a virus is found, the system is fixed so
it's incapable of running any more... virus killer software is just the
wrong way of doing things... it doesn't fix the origional problem that
lets the virus infect you in the first place.
I host both the Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG
http://plug.phoenix.az.us), and the (free) Linux Newbie Classes (same
address)
Plug meets the second thursday of each month at 7pm, and the newbie
group meets the 1st wed. at 7pm both at the same location.  If you are
interested in attending, either write me, or check out the website (that
I hate)
</end shameless linux plug>

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek