[Az-Geocaching] Suggestion to prevent short-lived caches: do not hide caches in manicured park shrubbery

Joe Brekke listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 19:21:10 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0264_01C32EBC.491A5E20

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ken Akerman=20
  To: listserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 4:46 PM
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Suggestion to prevent short-lived caches: do =
not hide caches in manicured park shrubbery

  Hello Geocachers,

  There are lots of good places to hide caches, but I am writing this =
note to explain a type of location where it is never a good idea to =
place a cache. =20

  A geocacher should not place a cache in regularly maintained and =
manicured shrubbery in public parks.  When the groundskeepers come to =
trim the shrubbery or to clean up litter, they will find the cache and =
throw it away. Thus, the life expectancy of such caches will be very =
short.  An example of a cache that met its demise after a short life in =
a public park is Greenbelt Cache in Chandler.  It lasted less than two =
weeks because it was located in manicured bushes and the groundskeepers =
removed it when they pulled back and cut the shrubbery.

  Think of what non-geocachers will be visiting the site regularly, and =
what they will do when they encounter the cache.  Most people still =
don't know what geocaching is, so when they find something that looks =
like it doesn't belong there, they will throw it out.  This is =
especially true among parks groundskeepers, most of whom don't =
understand what geocaching is and, and Arizona, probably don't read or =
understand English.

  Remember, high-quality caches generally will last a long time, while =
many poor-quality caches don't last very long.  Don't hide caches in =
places where they will likely be found accidentally by non-geocachers =
and will be removed.  When I go out to look for caches, I want to be =
confident that the cache is still in place when I arrive at the cache =
site.

  Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

------=_NextPart_000_0264_01C32EBC.491A5E20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dken@highpointer.com href=3D"mailto:ken@highpointer.com">Ken =
Akerman</A>=20
  </DIV>
title=3Dlistserv@azgeocaching.com=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:listserv@azgeocaching.com">listserv@azgeocaching.com</A> =
</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday, June 09, 2003 =
4:46 PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [Az-Geocaching] =
Suggestion to=20
  prevent short-lived caches: do not hide caches in manicured park=20
  shrubbery</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV>Hello Geocachers,</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>There are lots of good places to hide caches, but I am writing =
this note=20
  to explain a&nbsp;type of location where it is never a good idea to =
place a=20
  cache.&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>A geocacher should <U>not</U> place a&nbsp;cache in regularly =
maintained=20
  and manicured shrubbery in public parks.&nbsp; When the groundskeepers =
come to=20
  trim the shrubbery or to clean up litter, they will find the cache and =
throw=20
  it away. Thus, the life expectancy of such caches will be very =
short.&nbsp; An=20
  example of a cache that met its demise after a short life in a public =
park is=20
  <A =
href=3D"http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=3D69663">Gre=
enbelt=20
  Cache</A> in Chandler.&nbsp; It lasted less than two weeks because it =
was=20
  located in manicured bushes and the groundskeepers removed it when =
they pulled=20
  back and cut the shrubbery.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Think of what non-geocachers will be visiting the site regularly, =
and=20
  what they will do when they encounter the cache.&nbsp; Most people =
still don't=20
  know what geocaching is, so when they find something that looks like =
it=20
  doesn't belong there, they will throw it out.&nbsp; This is especially =
true=20
  among parks groundskeepers, most of whom don't understand what =
geocaching is=20
  and, and Arizona,&nbsp;probably don't read or understand =
English.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Remember, high-quality caches generally will last a long time, =
while many=20
  poor-quality caches don't last very long.&nbsp; Don't hide caches in =
places=20
  where they will likely be found accidentally by non-geocachers and =
will be=20
  removed.&nbsp; When I go out to look for caches, I want to be =
confident that=20
  the cache is still in place when I arrive at the cache site.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3D3>Ken Akerman</FONT></STRONG> (a.k.a.=20
  =
<STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0264_01C32EBC.491A5E20--