[Az-Geocaching] Suggestion to prevent short-lived caches: do not hide caches in manicured park shrubbery

Ken Akerman listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:46:25 -0700 (PDT)

--0-640086971-1055202385=:54907

Hello Geocachers,

There are lots of good places to hide caches, but I am writing this note to explain a type of location where it is never a good idea to place a cache.

A geocacher should not place a cache in regularly maintained and manicured shrubbery in public parks.  When the groundskeepers come to trim the shrubbery or to clean up litter, they will find the cache and throw it away. Thus, the life expectancy of such caches will be very short.  An example of a cache that met its demise after a short life in a public park is Greenbelt Cache in Chandler.  It lasted less than two weeks because it was located in manicured bushes and the groundskeepers removed it when they pulled back and cut the shrubbery.

Think of what non-geocachers will be visiting the site regularly, and what they will do when they encounter the cache.  Most people still don't know what geocaching is, so when they find something that looks like it doesn't belong there, they will throw it out.  This is especially true among parks groundskeepers, most of whom don't understand what geocaching is and, and Arizona, probably don't read or understand English.

Remember, high-quality caches generally will last a long time, while many poor-quality caches don't last very long.  Don't hide caches in places where they will likely be found accidentally by non-geocachers and will be removed.  When I go out to look for caches, I want to be confident that the cache is still in place when I arrive at the cache site.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

--0-640086971-1055202385=:54907

<DIV>Hello Geocachers,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>There are lots of good places to hide caches, but I am writing this note to explain a&nbsp;type of location where it is never a good idea to place a cache.&nbsp; </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>A geocacher should <U>not</U> place a&nbsp;cache in regularly maintained and manicured shrubbery in public parks.&nbsp; When the groundskeepers come to trim the shrubbery or to clean up litter, they will find the cache and throw it away. Thus, the life expectancy of such caches will be very short.&nbsp; An example of a cache that met its demise after a short life in a public park is <A href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=69663">Greenbelt Cache</A> in Chandler.&nbsp; It lasted less than two weeks because it was located in manicured bushes and the groundskeepers removed it when they pulled back and cut the shrubbery.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Think of what non-geocachers will be visiting the site regularly, and what they will do when they encounter the cache.&nbsp; Most people still don't know what geocaching is, so when they find something that looks like it doesn't belong there, they will throw it out.&nbsp; This is especially true among parks groundskeepers, most of whom don't understand what geocaching is and, and Arizona,&nbsp;probably don't read or understand English.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Remember, high-quality caches generally will last a long time, while many poor-quality caches don't last very long.&nbsp; Don't hide caches in places where they will likely be found accidentally by non-geocachers and will be removed.&nbsp; When I go out to look for caches, I want to be confident that the cache is still in place when I arrive at the cache site.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><STRONG><FONT size=3>Ken Akerman</FONT></STRONG> (a.k.a. <STRONG><EM>Highpointer</EM></STRONG>)</DIV>
--0-640086971-1055202385=:54907--