[Az-Geocaching] Re: Gnoshing suggestion

Brian Cluff listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 07 Jun 2003 18:10:10 -0700

Mike Schwarz wrote:
> On the gnoshing web site, you should have one new way of
> selecting gnoshes, which doesn't have a parallel on geocaching.com:

There will be a TON of difference between the geocaching site and
gnoshing when it's done.  There will be a definite geocaching tie in,
but the site will also be able to be used by joe schmoe off the
street... it just won't be as fun :)

> Select by type of restaurant, the most basic choices being
> ethnic, non-ethnic regular, and fast food.  Then, people like me
> who think that nothing at McDonalds is edible, can skip all the
> fast-food places!

That is definetely on the list of thing to do.  Like I said in my
origional message... right now the site IS a rip off of geocaching.com..
mainly as a kind of todo list.  The front page is about the only thing
that I have spent any time on, and the rest is mainly a search and
replace of geocaching with gnoshing :)   There is some code on the back
end, but I think I'm going to start from scratch because it's been long
enough that I can definetely do a better job the second time around.

 > I could probably list a few dozen good ethnic
> gnoshes within several miles of 85018!

That would be great.  The site will depend on people inputing their
favorite resteraunts and a review.  It will have a rating system so that
everyone that "finds" a gnosh will be able to come and review them as
well, and lots of "stats" (stats... we know nothing about stats hehehe)
to be had on everything.  It will eventually be tightly integrated with
with AzGeocaching.com so that you can plan a whole caching trip around
whatever dining experience you want.
BTW we got this idea while out cacheing and starting to death and almost
ended up eating at a mcdonalds only to find a very nice mom and pop
mexican place about 150 feet away.  We decided that we could have saved
some time if we had coodinates to that place in the first place.
Hopefully some day we can have deals with a lot of places for cachers.
They can find a code in a cache and write it on a coupon that they print
on the site and get a discount... anyway, just one of the ideas I have.
  I think it will end up being a lot of fun being the origionator of
some data for once. :)

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek

P.S. Gnoshing.com should be working now.