[Az-Geocaching] Yet more Aspen causalities

Andrew Ayre listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 11:19:00 -0700

Check out this basic map dated yesterday that shows the extent of the fire.
The northern side of the mountain that appears untouched on this map is the
location of last year's Bullock fire, which pretty much covered that area.
Basically the entire range with the exception of the far western edge of
Pusch Ridge has been burned. I see there may be pockets of green here and
there.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/coronado/aspen/maps/geomac07072003.jpg

I was coping with the fire until I saw a baby coyote on TV with a burned
leg. The towers and cabins are replacable, the wildlife on a Sky Island is
not. It hurts me to think of the animals running for their lives, all thanks
to human beings.

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-admin@listserv.azgeocaching.com]On Behalf Of
RopingThe Wind
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:26 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Yet more Aspen causalities

When I left Arizona, the fire was obviously huge then. I recall the high SSW
side of the mountain and up to Summerhaven being burned. How much of the
mountain is burned now? Isnt Redington Pass in far East Tucson!? Has the
fire gone that far east? I also recall them saying something about Oracle
possibly being threatened? Has the fire stopped traveling north and now
moving east? How much of the mountain has been burned?

This is pretty sad to see. I have only visited the top of Mnt Lemmon a
couple of times and it has been years since I was last up there. Wish I had
gone up there more often (I havent gotten any of the caches up there either,
for that now unimportant matter). It is really sad to hear if it was indeed
human caused. Have they yet determined the cause of it yet? I recalled
hearing something about it being human caused. It doesnt matter how much you
preach to people about how dry the forests are and about the restrictions in
place and yet some idiot throws a cigerette out the window or starts a
campfire at night. I remember last summer when there was severe ristrictions
in place (but parts of Tonto were still open at the time), we went caching
up around state route 188 a bit south of Young. There is a campground there
near the waterfalls (cant remember names here). I remember driving up the
dirt road and seeing a couple of RV's camped out there and there was a good
size campfire going (even though there was the sign at the entrance stating
level of fire danger being severe). IDIOTS!!! They ought to throw people in
jail for that rather then just fine them. Are they really that oblivious to
the restrictions?

There are a few good size forest fires in the eastern Washington forests up
here as well. But, nothing to the scale of the Apsen Fire. Also, some fires
in Oregon as well. I am on the west side of the Cascade Mnts and the forests
are a bit wetter over here.

Scott
Team Ropingthewind