[Az-Geocaching] Yet more Aspen causalities

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 08 Jul 2003 11:12:52 -0700

At 10:26 AM 7/8/2003 -0700, you wrote:

>When I left Arizona, the fire was obviously huge then. I recall the high
>SSW side of the mountain and up to Summerhaven being burned. How much of
>the mountain is burned now? Isnt Redington Pass in far East Tucson!? Has
>the fire gone that far east? I also recall them saying something about
>Oracle possibly being threatened? Has the fire stopped traveling north and
>now moving east? How much of the mountain has been burned?

As of todays reports it is currently at about 80,000 acres.  They are
saying that it is about 70% contained and they just released a new fire
plan that says that it will most likely grow to about 110,000 acres before
they get it completely contained.

Reddington is pretty far east, but it looks like the fire is about 3 miles
from there.  The good news is that the humidity is starting to finally rise
and it has really helped them get a handle on things.  My understanding is
that Oracle is no longer in any danger, and the real efforts are on the
south and east sides of the fire.

>There are a few good size forest fires in the eastern Washington forests
>up here as well. But, nothing to the scale of the Apsen Fire. Also, some
>fires in Oregon as well. I am on the west side of the Cascade Mnts and the
>forests are a bit wetter over here.

Being from that part of the world, and having been a forest fire fighter in
that part of the world, it is still pretty early in the fire season for the
northwest.  Over the next month or so I suspect that things will really get
bad up there.  They are in pretty much the same drought as we are.

Scott

scott@myblueheaven.com
www.myblueheaven.com